Progression of one deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progression of one deer

We bought our ranch in early 2012 and have been working to improve the herds ever since. The drought that ended in 2012 was rough on the herd and we found that there were likely no buck fawns that survived the 2011 fawning period and maybe none from 2010 either.

This guy has shown the best traits over the past few years so he has been protected. We plan on giving him one more season pass and then hopefully my wife can shoot him next year.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these native Kimble County genetics and allowing him to age.

Tim

July 2012

screenshot

Sept. 2012

free image hosting

Sept. 2013

post a picture

Aug. 2014

picture share

Aug. 2015

adult photo sharing

free photo hosting

how to capture screen

Thanks for those.
    I was not sure it was him in the second photo.
    He sure turned out to be a trophy.
    Beautiful colors on that cape.

So he is 6 or 7?

Noticed some exotics. I don't know if you can feed him enough to get more results with those things dominating the feed

BP

Comment

Beautiful deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

So he is 6 or 7?

Noticed some exotics. I don't know if you can feed him enough to get more results with those things dominating the feed

BP
        Big pig,

That is the question. We're leaning towards him being 6.5 this season, but could be off a year. We're not great on aging yet.

The former owners did not feed a lot of protein but we have been ramping that up over the time that we've owned it. With the exotics we are over populated, and doing more than supplemental feeding right now. We acknowledge that and are going to have to make some decisions on what we want to do with the herds. The fallow are gone and I won't be getting any more. Total feed hogs for sure. The other species' populations are pretty steady but the axis need to be kept in check more than we're doing I think. We have added a total of five free choice protein feeders (up from one 1,000 pound one) so that there is not as much concern over one group getting pushed out. Game camera photos seem to indicate most everything, if not everything, is getting fair time at the feed.

I've got some hypotheticals to work out and will probably put another thread up here in the next few days/weeks about our game plan this season for opinions.

I appreciate those looking and commenting. It's as much fun watching them grow up on camera as hunting them. Having a lot to look at when we're out there, especially for my little girls, is fun too and the reason we will always have more than what the raw land will hold without help. There will always be exotics too because we can't justify buying a place to hunt only three months of the year.

Tim

Comment

How big is your piece of property? High fence?

Comment

224 acres and yes we are high fenced.

Comment

He's turning out nice. I'd give him some time. Kill him when he's 10.5.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                  Big pig,

That is the question. We're leaning towards him being 6.5 this season, but could be off a year. We're not great on aging yet.

The former owners did not feed a lot of protein but we have been ramping that up over the time that we've owned it. With the exotics we are over populated, and doing more than supplemental feeding right now. We acknowledge that and are going to have to make some decisions on what we want to do with the herds. The fallow are gone and I won't be getting any more. Total feed hogs for sure. The other species' populations are pretty steady but the axis need to be kept in check more than we're doing I think. We have added a total of five free choice protein feeders (up from one 1,000 pound one) so that there is not as much concern over one group getting pushed out. Game camera photos seem to indicate most everything, if not everything, is getting fair time at the feed.

I've got some hypotheticals to work out and will probably put another thread up here in the next few days/weeks about our game plan this season for opinions.

I appreciate those looking and commenting. It's as much fun watching them grow up on camera as hunting them. Having a lot to look at when we're out there, especially for my little girls, is fun too and the reason we will always have more than what the raw land will hold without help. There will always be exotics too because we can't justify buying a place to hunt only three months of the year.

Tim
                  No one really is. (I know, TBHers are way smarter than them over educated biologist ). All joking aside, this is an interesting study.

Comment

Working...
                  X