Flickr's Most Interesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickr's Most Interesting?

Can somebody please explain flickr's Most Interesting feature to me?
    What is the site's method for selecting what it terms "interesting" photographs?

This is what the website has to say about it

There are lots of things that make a photo 'interesting' (or not) in the Flickr. Where the clickthroughs are coming from; who comments on it and when; who marks it as a favorite; its tags and many more things which are constantly changing. Interestingness changes over time, as more and more fantastic photos and stories are added to Flickr."
    So I assume this is based on:

- Views of the photo
    - Number of comments on the photo, and also who comments on the photo
    - Tags applied to the photo
    - Groups in which the photo appears
    - Number of times the photo has been favorited
    - Time varying behavior of the above factors

However, according to my page stats, my "most interesting" photo only has 19 views, zero comments, and nobody considers it a favorite.
    I also have photos with multiple comments and twice as many views and photos that have been favorited more than once...and those photos do not even appear in my top 5 "most interesting."

So, what gives? I'm just curious as to the secret behind an interesting flickr photo.
    Last edited by Sika; 05-01-2008, 11:22 AM.

I wondered the same thing, but didn't research it as you did. Sounds like they are using the IRS tactic of complicating it beyond ordinary understanding.

Comment

I don't know, but looking at the daily interestingness is part of my morning ritual. Lot of inspiration there.

Comment

a feature I didn't know existed........guess I will have to look at flickr a little closer........

Comment

Looks like it's some algorithm ranking by views, favorites and then comments. Not sure. Favorites seem to be a big deal.

This is a view of your 45 most popular bits, ordered by interestingness.

#1: Perched Hummingbird

One of my migrant buddies that stopped by long enough for a portrait. I set up on these guys in my yard every August and they never fail to give me ample opportunities like this shot. The green background is simply the lawn. I'm 3' from this bird.
          • 55 views / 2 people count this as a favorite / 6 comments

#2: Curious Buck

A drive-by snap while visiting a south Texas ranch during the rut.
          • 63 views / 3 people count this as a favorite / 1 comment

#3: Blade the Buck

I spent a weekend in 2004 watching this brute. I had just begun to use a DSLR. I was fortunate to get a couple keepers of him.
          • 58 views / 3 people count this as a favorite / 1 comment

#4: Dirt Nose

Dirty nosed whitetail buck posed for me in Duval County, Texas
          • 25 views / 2 people count this as a favorite / 0 comments

#5: Hummingbird

I set up in my backyard every August to welcome the hummingbirds. They are both a challenge and pleasure to capture.
          • 53 views / 1 person counts this as a favorite / 6 comments

Comment

If you haven't put your photos into some of the groups, you need to do it. This gets them more exposure and people will comment. I just got invited (it's an invitation only group) to join "Better Than Good" and the comments are starting to flow in!

Comment

What Groups is everybody in?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                Looks like it's some algorithm ranking...

Algorithm... I rest my case.

Comment

Koons, I'm not a member of very many groups. I need to work on that.

Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! (27,073 members)
                  Pointy Faced Dogs (1,116 members)
                  The Whitetail Deer (367 members)
                  Blue Lacy Dogs (14 members)
                  RANCH & COUNTRY LIVING (387 members)
                  Barton Creek Greenbelt - Austin Texas (21 members)
                  Hawg Dawgz (7 members)

Comment

Casey i just started that group and your my first inductee so don't feel special.

Comment

Thanks for inviting the rest of us Jason..........Guess your sucking up to the moderators

Comment

Just started a Flickr account. Found out I can upload the entire enchilada, don't have to resize and link here with way better resolution. It retains the original quality. This is nice to know.

Who knows what folks on Flickr think? I bet 95% of them haven't been in the REAL COUNTRY in ages

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                          Algorithm... I rest my case.[/LEFT]
                          Awww man, we're not opening the whole "Global Warming vs. Natural Cycle" deal again are we?

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                            Just started a Flickr account. Found out I can upload the entire enchilada, don't have to resize and link here with way better resolution. It retains the original quality. This is nice to know.

Who knows what folks on Flickr think? I bet 95% of them haven't been in the REAL COUNTRY in ages
                            Looks like and OLD dog can learn a new trick, SON!

I'm out. Gotta go chase some Turkeys in North Texas with my boy.

Comment

Y'all have been holding out on me Gerald!!!

Good luck and snap some pixels!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X