Protein Feeder Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Feeder Suggestions

I plan on building two feeders like in the pictures. I am using old chicken grain bins I found. I will be using 6x6x1/8 square tubing for the spouts and 2x2x3/16 angle for the frame. The spouts are 40" off the ground and the top of the feeder is 7'-8". Any suggestions on changes before I get started. Thanks
    Attached Files

Looks pretty **** good to me

Comment

How are you going to fill? Make sure water does not come in...Also add a sight glass near the bottom vertical side section....

Comment

Where are you hunting? Tubes seem a little tall for E TX or Hill Country deer, but that’s just my 2 cents.

Comment

Sheeeeet ! Changes ? Build me 1 too ! It looks awesome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Think about the filling process....

Comment

Not sure of the best way to avoid it, but with those chutes it appears a lot of feed may hit the ground. But someone with more than two protein feeders will know more than me.

I really like the idea.
              Depending upon thicknesss of the metal, is there any reason for more support or a cross brace inside the bin near the top.
              Last edited by Big pig; 02-01-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I might add 2 pieces of angle all the way around to cage it and support it on all sides. Not sure about the spouts dropping too much feed. Those are 12" pieces angled on a 45 with a 9" piece on the end. I might add a small piece of flat bar at the end if the feed spills. Also plan to cut the ends at an angle to prevent rain from coming in. I plan on filling from the bed of my truck. Its easy access to where the feeders will be located at.

Comment

I had some made pretty much like that several years ago. The only problem I had was when it rained the pellets gummed up in the spouts and I was 6 hours away. Put your opening to pour pellets into on the edge of the top and be sure it has about an inch lip all the way around so water doesn't get in that way. Some way to latch the lid you put on it also. I filled mine with an auger, it put 15 sacks of pellets in pretty quickly.

Comment

Good idea on the latch. Mine blew off in the hurricane and ruined my 600 lbs of feed and my timer.

Comment

I would also drill a hole at the end of the spouts, so water can drain, if it gets in the tube

Comment

Working...
                      X