First Turkey Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Yup.. I’m shopping new popups and the new DSD mating pair of dekes myself just to be able to change it up..... and what I had this year worked great[emoji23]
    Which popups you looking at. Really am thinking of the primos double bull. Have killed a bird out of one and with my recurve. Kind of a hard price pill to swallow.... but....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

First Turkey Hunt!

Double Bulls, if I can find a good price, Xenek and the Ameristep Element. Mine won’t be out but 9-15 days a year max so I don’t really need to break the bank.

Comment

Yea they ugly but I’ve had them around 4 years, never hunt over feeders and have killed turkeys with them. I call and call and here they come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post
          Yea they ugly but I’ve had them around 4 years, never hunt over feeders and have killed turkeys with them. I call and call and here they come.

Good deal. Same here[emoji1303]

You shotgun or bow hunting?

Comment

Both but I like shotgun better

Comment

I loved the dialog... this is how I learn lol

I’m hoping today is the day I bring one home. Im all set up, just waiting now

Comment

Originally posted by Becka Marie View Post
                I loved the dialog... this is how I learn lol

I’m hoping today is the day I bring one home. Im all set up, just waiting now

Good luck!

Comment

Hope you get alot of good action today. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Oh My Ughhhhhhhhh........ today really has me thinking about giving up my goal to turkey hunt! I was on a turkey since 830 this morning and that gobbler gave me a run for my money. Crazy bird ended up going all the way around me and ended up on top of me where I couldn’t get a shot! Literally 2.5 hours chasing that bird around and he won......

As frustrating as this is, im not giving up hope yet. I just gotta figure out a better game plan.

All suggestions are welcome [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Decoys

Comment

Agreed...A good set of decoys with a 3/4 strut jake.. They hate that jake being with their new future girlfriend and will face him up..

I had 4 different Toms in my decoys this year over two weekends and every one went for the jake first....much like my video above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	24538663

You can see all the pecking at the top of Fake Jake's head they did over two weekends....

Name:	IMG_1616.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	24538664

Comment

Originally posted by Becka Marie View Post
                            Oh My Ughhhhhhhhh........ today really has me thinking about giving up my goal to turkey hunt! I was on a turkey since 830 this morning and that gobbler gave me a run for my money. Crazy bird ended up going all the way around me and ended up on top of me where I couldn’t get a shot! Literally 2.5 hours chasing that bird around and he won......

As frustrating as this is, im not giving up hope yet. I just gotta figure out a better game plan.

All suggestions are welcome [emoji23][emoji23]

I know it's frustrating, but that's what makes it so fun. The beauty is in the chase! Keep after them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Smart;13347294]Agreed...A good set of decoys with a 3/4 strut jake.. They hate that jake being with their new future girlfriend and will face him up..

I had 4 different Toms in my decoys this year over two weekends and every one went for the jake first....much like my video above.

Name:	IMG_1583.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	24538663

Sorry to hijack, but what brand decoys are those Smart? They look really good and am looking to upgrade my setup after this season

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post

Sorry to hijack, but what brand decoys are those Smart? They look really good and am looking to upgrade my setup after this season

Thanks...It is a Dakota Decoy Jake and a David Smith Decoys (DSD) upright hen. I bought the jake on ebay on a deal so cheap I couldn't pass it up when I was wanting to upgrade from my foam decoys.....and my buddy ClayW and his Dad, who are big DSD supporters and users have given me heck for it since I got it.. It is basically a copy of the DSD with a lesser paint job. That's why his Dad gave him the name Fake Jake and it stuck.

That being said, my goal is to have a DSD 3/4 jake, this upright hen I have, a feeder hen and the DSD mating pair in my arsenal before next year. I just want to be able to change things up since I am strictly bowhunting them now..

Here is the mating pair right before I killed my second Tom of the year off them.

Name:	spread.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24538665

And my set with a feeder hen I borrowed from Clay that weekend.

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24538666

Comment

Working...
                                X