4 wheeler Mechanical Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 wheeler Mechanical Advice needed

I have a 2002 Yamaha 660 Grizzly.Had starting problems. put a new carburetor on it, drained the gas tank and put fresh gas in it, put a fuel filter on the gas line, new Pit cock valve and new air filter. It starts and idles fine.Runs like a scaled ape. Once the engine gets hot, it starts cutting out and popping and back fires will not go over 10 -12 miles a hour.
    Any thoughts or suggestions

Sounds like maybe the carb gets flooded once it gets hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What does the sparkplug look like after it acts up? Could be a coil going out when it gets up to temp

Comment

That model had problens with gas vaporizing in the gas tank due to engine heat. Yamaha supplied a kit once the issue was discovered. It was basically the foil tape used for ac/heat work stuck to bottom of gas tank to reflect the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          That model had problens with gas vaporizing in the gas tank due to engine heat. Yamaha supplied a kit once the issue was discovered. It was basically the foil tape used for ac/heat work stuck to bottom of gas tank to reflect the heat.

That recall also included vented side panels and a different carb jet. If it has vented side panels the recall was probably done.

Comment

Yes Has vented side panels, has the foil under the gas tank.

Comment

I did put a after market Carburetor on it. What would need to be done if it is the Carburetor becoming flooded, adjust the float or adjust the??

Comment

Bump on a foggy morning

Comment

Mudease in Alvin do great work and warranty their repairs.

Comment

Have you checked compression?

Comment

I would suggest rebuilding the OEM carb.
                      Those cheap knockoff carbs cause running issues. Had one a few weeks back, brand new aftermarket carb top speed maxed out at 10 (This was on a Kawasaki Prairie 360). Put the OEM carb back on and it would run to the 40 mph or so that it is supposed to go.

Edit: Granted, since the machine runs fine until it gets warm, this might not be the case but it is worth trying before dumping money into parts.
                      Last edited by KyleW; 12-18-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                        I did put a after market Carburetor on it. What would need to be done if it is the Carburetor becoming flooded, adjust the float or adjust the??
                        Replace it with the oem carb. Been there, done that!

Comment

Your ignition coil or the pickup coil on the armature/rectifier could be acting up when hot....seen that a few times.

Comment

Try turning the petcock off when it starts acting up.. if it clears up and runs good for a sec then the carb is flooding and likely a new OEM needle and seat will fix it.
                            I've also seen improperly adj valves cause this as well as ignition coils when they get hot... cheap swap for your time

Comment

Thank You all for your input, ill give some of these a try.. StevieRay

Comment

Working...
                              X