different kind of feeder pen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different kind of feeder pen question

So markm and I are headed to the lease to put up some hog panel and set up a new feed pen and stand location. He have pens at every stand but they are all just barb wire for cows. We have a few pigs show up at all stands occasionally but not many, except for one. There is a good amount, 20 or so that show regularly. We were going to hog panel it (still might), but here is where the question comes in.
    Do you, the braintrust, think it would be best to leave the pigs going where they are going and hog panel the new pen giving us one with hog deterant? Or should we just goes planned with barb wire on new pen and panel the problem feeder?
    My thought was that if we panel the pen they are going to it would either make them all move to a new area, most likely on our lease still or spread them out across the lease and nieghboring property. Where as leaving them access to the one feeder they frequent would atleast, hopefully, keep them from spreading.
    Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance.
    BTW we do the community stand thing so its not like one person is stuck with pigs and nowhere else to hunt.

I understand what you're saying, the hog panel would definately "slow" them down, (they will still walk around the perimeter and eat the corn that is outside the fence, unless your pen is large enough to keep the corn contained) To answer your question, yes they will move to find food elsewhere, rather it be your neighbors or your other feeder locations that are without hog panels. OR you can have me sit at the feeder that the hogs are giving you problems at with my bow!!

Comment

Originally posted by Centraltexan View Post
      I understand what you're saying, the hog panel would definately "slow" them down, (they will still walk around the perimeter and eat the corn that is outside the fence, unless your pen is large enough to keep the corn contained) To answer your question, yes they will move to find food elsewhere, rather it be your neighbors or your other feeder locations that are without hog panels. OR you can have me sit at the feeder that the hogs are giving you problems at with my bow!!

But let me ask you this would you prefer keeping hopefully where they are at or try to push them hopefully off the propery or atleast scatter them out? We run big pens there would only be a kernel of corn out of em and some Buck Candy dust.
      I keep using the word hopefully because it doesn't always go as planned.
      I kind of think they'll just move as a group to the next feeder.

Comment

Well, if having hogs at one feeder doesn't bother you then I'd say leave it. You'll have plenty of targets for a while (until you really start shooting at them or they go looking for food elsewhere.) If the cattle on your place like to tear up feeders or just hang out under them for hours on end, go ahead and make your barbed wire pen. Just run 2 or 3 strands but make it high enough to where the hogs can just walk under it.

Comment

I'd be for taking a chance they relocate to the neighbors property. I'd put the panel up.

I don't like hogs and would be happy if I never saw one again. That said, I recognize that some folks like hunting hogs and enjoy seeing them, so it might not be bad to keep them coming into one feeder. It's just not what I would do.

Comment

We aren't completely anti pig but we are anti pig infestation. They do make fun target opps and its always good to put a couple in the freezer. This particular feeder they are getting out of hand though.

Or we could always just save the hog panel for when and if we ever set up a protein station.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

But let me ask you this would you prefer keeping hopefully where they are at or try to push them hopefully off the propery or atleast scatter them out? We run big pens there would only be a kernel of corn out of em and some Buck Candy dust.
              I keep using the word hopefully because it doesn't always go as planned.
              I kind of think they'll just move as a group to the next feeder.
              Yes Sir! I would "hopefully" try to keep them at that feeder. Make that the "designated" hog feeder for the guy's that want some pork!! (until they decide to .........)

Comment

Originally posted by Centraltexan View Post
                Yes Sir! I would "hopefully" try to keep them at that feeder. Make that the "designated" hog feeder for the guy's that want some pork!! (until they decide to .........)
                Thats kind of the page I'm on. Since the # of pigs has grown the # of deer pictures we get at this spot has gone down quite a bit. What is intersting though is the # of turkey pictures has gone way up. Kind of weird.

Comment

As soon as we put panels around all the feeders at our Young cnty place the pigs were only seen in the wheat fields (which was our intention)

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                    As soon as we put panels around all the feeders at our Young cnty place the pigs were only seen in the wheat fields (which was our intention)
                    Eventually we want to panel all of them, what we had planned on doing was paneling them as they became a problem with intention of gettig them all done at some point. Which its only about 6 feeders. With the barb wire pens we have up now though it'll be an investment to get that much panel. We like big pens.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                      Thats kind of the page I'm on. Since the # of pigs has grown the # of deer pictures we get at this spot has gone down quite a bit. What is intersting though is the # of turkey pictures has gone way up. Kind of weird.
                      Very true! Deer will not show up at my feeders where the hogs are, turkeys on the other hand don't seem to mind them at all, and have exploded in population. I do not have one pic with hogs and deer in the same pic at the same time. I have many pics of the turkeys and hogs feeding together. Who knows???

Comment

Panel all feeders, unless you want pigs. If you do want pigs panel all feeders except for the one they go to. That's my 2¢

Comment

Originally posted by deercrazy View Post
                          Panel all feeders, unless you want pigs. If you do want pigs panel all feeders except for the one they go to. That's my 2¢
                          Loan me the money for about 60 panels? Thats what we're working towards just trying to decide which ones to do first.

Comment

Originally posted by deercrazy View Post
                            This

Comment

I would panel it and just move the feeder closer to the fence. That way, the hogs can eat the corn on the outside and there will still be some left for the deer on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X