Ammo question .308 twist rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo question .308 twist rate?

I am looking at the Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELDX to shoot. The ammo box and documentation say to use 24" barrel and 1:12 twist. My rifle is a 22" barrel and 1:10 twist. Will I be OK or do I need to look at something else?

Thanks,

You should be fine with the faster twisted 1:10.

Comment

You should be good with a 10 twist. You’re velocity will be lower than advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dustinztx View Post
        I am looking at the Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELDX to shoot. The ammo box and documentation say to use 24" barrel and 1:12 twist. My rifle is a 22" barrel and 1:10 twist. Will I be OK or do I need to look at something else?

Thanks,
        You outta be good. I would think that the 1:10 would work better than the 1:12 would. The best way I can think of to describe bullets and twist rates is the heavier the bullet the more help it needs so the faster the twist rate. If you really want to see what will work best in your rifle buy multiple different boxes of factory ammo in different grain weights and try them out. That's what I do and I have always been able to find a factory ammo that is well below 1 moa. Believe it or not inexpensive Federal Fusion ammo has been sub moa in 6 different rifles 4 different calibers and 4 different make/models through out my experiences. The federal fusion is one of the only boat tailed soft points that are at that price point and has a surprisingly high BC.

Comment

Run your specs through the calculator. The Greenhill formula never lies. And over stabilization was debunked by Bryan litz, so when in doubt, run the fastest twist you can. http://kwk.us/twist.html

Comment

1:10 is what you want.

Comment

1:10 will aid in stabilizing the heavy projectile.

Comment

Working...
              X