Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Callahan, Coleman, Fisher, Jones, Nolan, Runnels, Shackelford, Taylor...4th Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just back from a wednesday to sunday work weekend at our leases in northern callahan and southern shackelford and I'm definitely getting too old for this. First observation is that its very dry but not 2011 and nowhere close to 2013. Game numbers however are glaringly lower than last few years, kangaroo rats, rabbits, quail and mourning dove especially have plummeted.

That said, despite having our cameras out only two nights our deer look pretty good. We feed protein and have feeders near water sources that are all holding water and thats definitely helped. Attached are a few pics of deer and a nice weekend in general especially for early august!
    Last edited by mr. buck; 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM. Reason: pics messed up

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buck View Post
      just back from a wednesday to sunday work weekend at our leases in northern callahan and southern shackelford and I'm definitely getting too old for this. First observation is that its very dry but not 2011 and nowhere close to 2013. Game numbers however are glaringly lower than last few years, kangaroo rats, rabbits, quail and mourning dove especially have plummeted.

That said, despite having our cameras out only two nights our deer look pretty good. We feed protein and have feeders near water sources that are all holding water and thats definitely helped. Attached are a few pics of deer and a nice weekend in general especially for early august!

Pics???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]919431[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]919432[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by mr. buck; 08-10-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

couple pics, only had cams out one night. sorry about the original post, had to resize them before it would work

Comment

Dang nice deer

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buck View Post
              [ATTACH]919431[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]919432[/ATTACH]

Very nice!

Comment

We will be planting the Turner Seed Fall Deer Mix this year. Still really dry, but we still have a little water in one tank.

Who all will be out for the Dove opener next Saturday?

Comment

I'm headed to Cross Plains Wednesday,we are about 5 miles south,hope there is birds.We planted the Turner spring Turkey mix and sunflowers,I will start shredding Thursday and start getting ready for fall food plots.

Comment

Heading out Friday to shred and get corn and cameras started. Neighbor has hay grazer getting ripe and tanks with water so hoping to get on birds there

Comment

Our place is SE Shackelford off hwy 6. Very Dry like everyone else.

Our local dove numbers this year are shockingly low. (We do a lot of farming for the birds) Almost no quail and no hatch.
                      Still trying to determine the fawn crop but it’s not great. 20-40% range.
                      Horns will be way down.
                      Not the year to shoot top end deer.

Comment

Runnels County....you starting to encroach on the San Angelo area thread! lol

Comment

Our place in Crossplains is real dry. Going to be out there this weekend for dove opener but dont imagine we will even get a one man limit. Deer are hitting the feeders in Crossplains. This is our first year on the place. We bought 40 acres outside of town. Any Pics of past deer killed in or near Crossplains would be awesome if anyone wants to share.

Comment

Our place is dry, I wouldn't even consider shredding with the fear to hit a rock and start a fire. Fortunately no need, there is nothing on the ground. Couple tanks dried up but we still have some water and we feed heavy corn and protein year round so the deer look in good shape. They are hitting the feeders heavy right now. I might also look at installing a watering system right next to my protein feeder to see how that does.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post
                              Our place is dry, I wouldn't even consider shredding with the fear to hit a rock and start a fire. Fortunately no need, there is nothing on the ground. Couple tanks dried up but we still have some water and we feed heavy corn and protein year round so the deer look in good shape. They are hitting the feeders heavy right now. I might also look at installing a watering system right next to my protein feeder to see how that does.

Are you still on the Frymire? I shot my first deer (100” 8 point) on that ranch in 1989 when Leon Barr owned it. The large wheat field on Jim Ned creek was an awesome spot!

Comment

Trying to smack a hog tonight before the opener tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X