Wood finishing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood finishing help

I started making these chairs for our lease and friends, but I keep getting orders for more ,so my question is how Can I stain the wood and then keep it from getting weathered? I’m a retired Leo and don’t claim to be a woodworker just a bored retiree. The chair in the pic has Thompson’s timber oil on it but they don’t stay looking like that, or is it best to primer and paint with oil base paint and primer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking chairs. You do good work. Any wood that is exposed to sun and/or rain should be protected. I have a treated deck and I reseal it every 2 yrs.
    Seven yrs. now and still looking good. Like with anything, the better it is cared for the longer it will last.

Comment

Best thing to do is put them under cover when you're not there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried polyurethane on some adirondack chairs I built and the sun blistered it off after about a year and a half so I stripped them down and tried this timber oil. Looking for input for raw wood after sanding was thinking of Kilz primer and then paint what y’all say ?

Comment

To have a natural look, just apply Helmsman Spar Urethane -- has UV inhibitors and will help prevent weathering -- but, understand that it will need to be re-applied every couple of years. Painting (can use a quality exterior paint and primer in one) will last a few years as long as painted chairs is okay with you. I would also think that deck sealer would work, since a deck has essentially the same exposure as the chairs. If chairs are yet to be built, I would seriously consider using pressure treated wood to start with, or at least cedar, and go from there with the finish. Anything exposed will have a lifespan -- UV is the killer.

Edit: And, by the way, very nice work on the chair. Looks solid and comfortable as well as aesthetically pleasing!
          Last edited by tradtiger; 11-24-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Paint 'n Primer in 1---not for me. Kilz first then the paint. Exterior house paint will be your best bet.

Comment

good looking chair.

Comment

Can you post the build plans? Nice looking chair!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                  Can you post the build plans? Nice looking chair!

Don’t really have plans I just cut from a picture that I had in my head adirondacks were too low so I raised the seat height from 12 to 17 inches and elevated the back to keep that same angle , as for the back I have a slight curve and a 21 degree angle for the lean.

Comment

Comment

Arms are 2x8 seat is 2x6 legs are 2x4 back slats are 1x4 and seat slats are 1x3 heavy duty

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                        To have a natural look, just apply Helmsman Spar Urethane -- has UV inhibitors and will help prevent weathering -- but, understand that it will need to be re-applied every couple of years. Painting (can use a quality exterior paint and primer in one) will last a few years as long as painted chairs is okay with you. I would also think that deck sealer would work, since a deck has essentially the same exposure as the chairs. If chairs are yet to be built, I would seriously consider using pressure treated wood to start with, or at least cedar, and go from there with the finish. Anything exposed will have a lifespan -- UV is the killer.

Edit: And, by the way, very nice work on the chair. Looks solid and comfortable as well as aesthetically pleasing!

Tried spar on first chairs I built 5 years ago on pressure treated lumber it all flakes off had to dismantle sand and paint over. I was told anything pressure treated you have to wait for it to DRY before putting a poly on it I’m not sure maybe I’m doing something wrong but I love the natural look of wood, so I’m asking for input thank you guys keep it coming

Comment

Everything will peel off of treated lumber until it's dried a yr or two. I'd just use the fence or deck stain/sealers and the cheapest regular lumber and be ready to put a quick coat on em every yr or so. The sun will beat up whatever finish is on there. I've used the high dollar marine grade uv stuff on our wooden doors at the Church and it eventually starts peeling as well. Just have to keep retreating.

Comment

That’s why I’m thinking of painting them kinda like those old metal chairs from the 50’s and 60’s

Comment

Great work!
                              I don't have an answer for your finish question but what I did, 15 years ago, was paint the treated wood frame and left the seat and back natural made with cedar picket.

Cedar pickets are cheap if you want to replace every couple of years to keep look nice or like me just leave them to the weather for a rustic look.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X