Which gun for short range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which gun for short range?

If you were going to pick a deer/hog gun for short range shots (20-70 yards) in thick East Texas woods, which would it be? It would be topped with a 1-4 scope, and 30-30 is excluded because I already have one.

Ruger mini-30 in 7.62x39
    Marlin 45-70
    Slug barrel for a 12 gauge Remington 11-87
    Others?

Haa I was going to say your user name is probably the best one out there. .45-70 would be my choice of the ones you listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just bought a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. That little bolt action is meant for that exact deal. It’s my all around truck gun now.

Comment

I'd go with your username.

Comment

45-70, 458 Socom, 450 Marlin, 444 Marlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With the 45-70, you should be able to punch a bullet through brush if need be. You could also look into a .454 Casul/.45 LC and easily hit out to 75 yards with a quicker response.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              45-70, 458 Socom, 450 Marlin, 444 Marlin.
              Any of the above with the 45-70 being my choice and by far the easiest to find ammo for if you don't reload.

Comment

44mag

Comment

You need this: http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog...-89-carbine-2/

Comment

30-30

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      Good Lord they are proud of it. It is pretty sweet but I would stick with a Marlin at a quarter of the price.

Comment

You can tell the folks that didn’t read the first post thoroughly. [emoji6]

Comment

I agree, 30-30. Was my go to, short distance gun back when I hunted E.Tex. Killed a lot of deer with that gun. And I read you had one, but why not use it...

Comment

Knowing how thick East Texas can be you want big knock down power, big holes, and a big blood trail if the deer does run. I've had nothing but fast kills with the 45-70 and the Hornady 300gr HP but I wouldn't hesitate to use 12 gauge with full size slugs. If you really want to drop them on the spot, aim for the shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                              Good Lord they are proud of it. It is pretty sweet but I would stick with a Marlin at a quarter of the price.
                              Ok, I change my vote to Henry 45-70

Comment

Working...
                              X