Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie: Sicario

Has anybody seen the movie Sicario?

Is/was the border as bad as they portray it?

I saw it tonight. It is pretty intense and good. It is also pretty violent. (not one for the kiddos) It is about CIA operatives and Delta Force causing trouble for the cartel on both sides of the border in Arizona and El Paso. It seems realistic but I don't know. In one scene they go across the border at Juarez and they come across headless bodies hung from bridges in the middle of town. In another scene they get in a gunfight on the international bridge while transporting a prisoner.
    They also show tracers and explosions in Juarez as a commonplace event.

The main actress is the one who regrets becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen. I won't be watching.

Comment

In the early 90's I started to travel to El Paso for business, I was amazed at how many people there would tell me about killings on the other side of the border.

According to locals at the time hundreds of people died every day because of drug wars. But people from the US didn't have a problem crossing over because for whatever reason the cartels left others alone that were not involved, at least that is what I was told.

Comment

My friend has family in Juarez he visits them no problems . Also my cousin is married to a Mexican from Laredo he visits her family there he has had no problems .

Comment

Saw it last night. Pretty intense movie. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it.

Comment

I'm getting paid big time for the movie. Wasn't going to say anything....but what the heck.

Comment

I want to see it. Looks good.

Comment

I want to see it. I know the locals are upset about it, like so many others it just paints a bad picture of El Paso. I am living in EP now going on 2 years.. I feel safer than I did on the North Side of San Antonio.

Comment

Intense, we really liked it.

Comment

I live in Laredo and it is not bad on the US side of the border. I have not crossed to the Mexican side in about 13 years there is a lot going on over on the other side. Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        I'm getting paid big time for the movie. Wasn't going to say anything....but what the heck.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=373564
                        So you changed your name to Taylor?

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                          So you changed your name to Taylor?
                          Mr. Sheridan to you.

Comment

I haven't seen it but, I doubt it is very realistic or accurate. It is, after all "a movie" and pretty much all Hollywood productions are highly sensationalized. I'm sure it is very entertaining though...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                              Has anybody seen the movie Sicario?

Is/was the border as bad as they portray it?

I saw it tonight. It is pretty intense and good. It is also pretty violent. (not one for the kiddos) It is about CIA operatives and Delta Force causing trouble for the cartel on both sides of the border in Arizona and El Paso. It seems realistic but I don't know. In one scene they go across the border at Juarez and they come across headless bodies hung from bridges in the middle of town. In another scene they get in a gunfight on the international bridge while transporting a prisoner.
                              They also show tracers and explosions in Juarez as a commonplace event.
                              Having lived on the border for the majority of my life, I can tell you that these stories are true. Back when the fighting was really intense, it wasnt crazy to see headless bodies strewn about the city with huge warning banners and see that grenades were thrown. I have a few friends over there and one day we were talking about the violence, and he told me a story about when he was at the grocery store and a few guys in front of them were bragging and joking on how they tortured and killed a guy, laughing at how he turned colors. He then told me of a gunfight below his appt where grenades were thrown and a kid died in the crossfire. They don't care whether or not there are kids/innocents in the way, they just spray.

There have also been a few killings/kidnapping on our side that haven't been huge news. Ranches/properties are being taken over on both sides of the border. At one point, i remember seeing property for $100/acre in the laredo area. Had a HS friend, who's dad was kidnapped ON THIS SIDE and was never seen again.

I have countless stories on the border. One day my best bud decided he was going to take his gf (now wife) over to progresso for some shopping and such, during the middle of the day, ended up being in the middle of a gunfight and had to RUN back to the border, explosions were heard.

A helper had to miss work because his dad was kidnapped on his farm in mexico and the cartels were holding him and his land hostage until they got paid. They killed him.

ETC, ETC, ETC

If you want to see how violent it really is/was. lookup borderlandbeat.com . Pretty graphic though.
                              Last edited by Chuy; 10-14-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X