Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
    Tick key. Now it loaded!!!
    WOW, never seen this! It is in line with the pick 'em off recommendation and aviod squeezin' 'em... May have to get me one of those little babies! Got 3 ticks off me first trip this spring to our new place down south... Since then, wore treated clothes (treated with Sawyers Permethrin spray), and no ticks...

Comment

I use it all the time, I get more ticks on me than my killer snake cat! Lots of seed ticks out now.

Comment

I have always lit a match then grabbed it with tweezers, blow out the match n put the hot end to the ticks butt, they will let go immediately every time without having to worry about leaving the head

Comment

Nasty suckers! Can’t stand ticks one bit lol

Comment

Originally posted by Meatcutter View Post
            I've always heard to turn them counter clock wise to remove..

That only works for right handed ticks.

Comment

Another vote for the Tick Key. Lots of deer ticks up here and that thing pulls ticks out intact without risk of backwash. We keep several around the house/vehicles and worth their weight in gold.
              Last edited by sticshooter; 05-14-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                According to the latest that I've read, the BEST way to remove a tick is to just pluck it off as soon as you can. If possible use forceps (tweezers) and grasp it as close to the head as possible so you don's squeeze the body any more than you have to. All these methods to make the ticks back out also make them "agitated" or sick... They will indeed back out, but these methods also make them regurgitate their saliva and blood back into your body, thus making getting any pathogens more likely than just pulling the tick off...

One thing I have started doing is after pulling it off either me, someone else or a pet, lay it down somewhere, like even the palm of my hand and watch it for a few seconds to see if it crawls and acts normal... This is a good indication that all it's body parts are still attached and not imbedded in the bite...
                This ^

How to remove a tick. This info is straight from the CDC (Center for Disease Control)

Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.

Pull upward with steady, even pressure.

After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol, an iodine scrub, or soap and water.

I had 3 on me in Iowa this past weekend. I did'nt have tweezers, but I had a small pair of scissors. Worked good except for the one on the back of my head. Waited until I got home and my wife removed it.

I also did my best to identify them. There are basically 3 species of ticks in Iowa.

Deer tick (also known as Black Legged Tick) = Bad....Carries Lyme Disease
                American Dog Tick = nasty critter but does not carry Lyme
                Lone Star Tick = also nasty critter but does not carry Lyme

All 3 on me were Lone Star Ticks.....imagine that.

Comment

I hate ticks & can't stand to have them on me 1 second vs 1 min...unless I see one where I have my travel bag to snag tweezers or home, I get them off immediately. Most always with the finger nails.

I've tried a couple other methods in the past but it doesn't matter in my case how they come out if the tap root is deployed...I'll be itch'n for many days.

I need to get another couple of the precision tweezers added to my Brownells list of needed crap. Those little ones can be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    I hate ticks & can't stand to have them on me 1 second vs 1 min...unless I see one where I have my travel bag to snag tweezers or home, I get them off immediately. Most always with the finger nails.

I've tried a couple other methods in the past but it doesn't matter in my case how they come out if the tap root is deployed...I'll be itch'n for many days.

I need to get another couple of the precision tweezers added to my Brownells list of needed crap. Those little ones can be tough.
                    Those little tiny ones are usually the bad ones.....deer ticks.

Comment

OMG, just pull them off!

Comment

My grandma always touched the butt of the tick with her lit cigarette until it let go and tried to crawl away then smash it

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                          OMG, just pull them off!
                          X2.....buncha high tech pansies

Comment

Working...
                          X