South Texas Success Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Success Story

So Mrs.TxBownut and myself got to the lease Sunday afternoon for a week of r&r and hopefully a full cooler of meat. We checked the cards on the half dozen cameras we had out and didn't really see any mature "trophy" caliber bucks on cam, but there was one old man that caught our eye. This guy wasnt much on rack size, but he looked to be 50 lbs heavier than the other deer around him and very mature. Problem was, we didn't have a ground blind at this spot and the Mrs. didn't feel comfortable in my tripod. So after Monday mornings hunt, I set about building a natural brush blind using the available cover and the prevailing wind. Now, she has killed a couple of deer with her compound, but being a full time working Grammy raising a 16 month old hasn't left much time for shooting, so her weapon of choice would be her crossbow. Her first hunt proved that my cuts and scratches would be worth it as she had deer all over her for more than an hour, just not "Bruiser" as she named him. When we checked the cards on Tuesday, Bruiser had gone nocturnal on us. Undaunted, she let several 3 and 4 year old bucks walk over the next couple of days. Finally, on Wednesday evening, he showed up, but she couldn't get him in her small shooting window. On Thursday morning, he messed up and stopped to get a bite of apple flavored goodness in the wrong spot, slightly quartering to her. He had a "Muzzy Moment". He ran about 60 yards and she heard him cough. In 30 years of skinning deer, this is by far the largest bodied deer I have ever winched up. I've got to hand it to her for her perseverance and her ability to sit motionless for hours at a time. I've got a pretty cool wife. To top it off, I smacked a couple of does and we will have plenty of venison for the freezer. One of the best weeks I have had in a while.
    Attached Files

congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Nice job folks!

Comment

Congrats