Black Bears - No Bait, Public Land? [Tactics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
    I hunt arkansas national forest the last three years and killed two bears. It can be an outstanding experience. Hunt ridges, water holes and acorns. Don't forget your GPS! It's thick in those hills!!

Hills of Texas are you killing them with a bow?

Comment

Yea. First one was spot and stalk with my recurve, the second I shot compound from a tree stand.

Comment

Water and prickly pair fruit if under fair chase rules.

Comment

Yea. First one was spot and stalk with my recurve, the second I shot compound from a tree stand.
          Spot and stalk with a recurve! Impressive! Not to hijack, OP, but would love to hear details on that hunt: bow weight, distance, terrain, sidearm?

Comment

I shoot a hoyt dorado@50 lbs. No side arm but I do carry bear spray. Terrain is rough! It's either up hill or down hill. I shot him at about 12 yards in a rock slide that spilled over from a high ridge. I use 200 grain VPA broadheads. He went up the mountain about 60 yards and pulled up under a big pine.

Comment

I keep hearing the phrase: "sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you."

Hat's off to you, sir!

Comment

I shoot a hoyt dorado@50 lbs. No side arm but I do carry bear spray. Terrain is rough! It's either up hill or down hill. I shot him at about 12 yards in a rock slide that spilled over from a high ridge. I use 200 grain VPA broadheads. He went up the mountain about 60 yards and pulled up under a big pine.
                That is awsome man!!

I've been researching public land up there for bear and deer hunting. The next time I don't draw a hunt out west I'm going to try to my luck up there.

Comment

It's an experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X