Fried Squirrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    I had to quit when I found out they were high in cholesterol.
    Sorry to hear that cousin Eddy.

Comment

brown some green onion tails, yellow onion and garlic, roll the squirrel in flour and brown them and turn the fire down to simmer and add a little stock or water and let them slow cook until tender. serve over white rice

Comment

Tag

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          I had to quit when I found out they were high in cholesterol.
          Better than California squirrels, they cause cancer....

Comment

Head as well in the oil, afterward, crack the head and eat the brain. We never let anything go to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
              Young fox squirrels are the most tender and best for frying. Cat squirrels and older fox squirrels are better smothered in a good dark gravy.
              My grandfather made fried squirrel and squirrel dumplings for us as kids.

The fried ones he did were always tender, I guess I never paid attention to the ones he fried.

Sorting them by age seems to be the general consensus here, but it's gonna be hard to do where I hunt.

I hunt on 2 large commercial pecan orchards, there's only Fox Squirrels, and they are BIG pecan fed slobs.

I shot several last weekend that weighed well over two pounds, and one that went 3lbs 9oz.

The other recipes are much appreciated.

I'm going to try to make some sausage from the bigger ones too - 50% squirrel 50% pork.

Comment

Originally posted by deano70 View Post
                Pressure cooker with flour and brown gravy and water. Served over a bed of rice. Yum
                This works well although I prefer mashed taters.

Comment

Squirrel and Dumplings will change your life. Cook the bodies down and shred with fork.

I havent tried yet but heard if you marinate 24 plus hours in buttermilk the acetic and lactic acids will tenderize the meat so you can just dredge, fry, and eat.

Comment

It doesn't pertain to your question but iv been making them like this lately. It's awesome!

Comment

Boil them in seasoned water and then shread the meat. Throw it in a skillet with taco seasoning and cook for a bit. Use this for tamales. Mmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                      X