Help, Starting a Protein Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, Starting a Protein Plan

Come February I plan to start a protein plan on my 12k corporate lease. Yes I know it will be expensive..

As of now thoughts are 5 ea 2k# stations.

My question is best way to purchase and fill them. Obviously I don't want #40 bags, and need suggestions on filling system.

We have sooo many deer I think its best for a timed system to save some money.

Anyone that can share input on large ranch feed would be appreciated.

Lease is in Hall Co near Childress.

Much appreciated,

Sean

Ask your local feed stores if they will deliver or fill your feeders when you order in bulk. If not ask around for someone who offers that service. Some feed stores offer delivery and you can generally get feed at a lower price when you buy in bulk.

Comment

I think you are good with the amount of feeders you are thinking and 2k should hold a little while after the first month or so you will have a better idea of how much the deer will eat i would search around the area and check with feed stores to see if they have a blower trailer for rent if you buy feed from them also you might ask outfitters who they use

Comment

Going timed will limit the amount of mouths fed and will take away the advantage of feeding protein. While it will help some, wont get the full benefit.

Your out in cotton country where you should be able to get cotton seed rather cheap. Might look at that for an alternative and I'm sure a local farmer would plant plots also.

Comment

Too many deer

My first concern is stating that you have too many deer. That could be true. Instead of rationing the amount of protein, I would suggest to sell hunts for your cull does or your does. If he sold for does a year for $500 apiece and one buck con fcull buck that would covered $2500 worth of proteins. That would offset having to put a timed feeder on the system. It would also help with the vast number of deer population that you have there

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            Going timed will limit the amount of mouths fed and will take away the advantage of feeding protein. While it will help some, wont get the full benefit.

Your out in cotton country where you should be able to get cotton seed rather cheap. Might look at that for an alternative and I'm sure a local farmer would plant plots also.

We have 3 winter wheat feilds, approx 400 acres now. Owner only plants wheat for cattle. We will not turn cows on them until we are all done hunting.

What could he plant for me after the wheat? Problem is the drought out here, hate to risk the planting and no rain..

Comment

Cotton seed is half the price of protein

Comment

One thing I will say about timed feeders is it will help more than some think. I have 4 + yrs doing it. Your better deer will get there's. They will be there when it opens in the AM. The deer will feed all day off & on if they need it or want it. I use the krivoman feeders & set them to close at 6 in the evening & open 7 in the AM.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                  My first concern is stating that you have too many deer. That could be true. Instead of rationing the amount of protein, I would suggest to sell hunts for your cull does or your does. If he sold for does a year for $500 apiece and one buck con fcull buck that would covered $2500 worth of proteins. That would offset having to put a timed feeder on the system. It would also help with the vast number of deer population that you have there

We are probably 80% mule deer to 20% WT.

We do have some WT culls, and trying to knock them down now.

We can not shoot mule deer does..yet. next year we will have mule doe permits and then we leave all WT does alone. We only killed one so far, and not shooting any more.

In 2 years we will be MLD, then I may sell hunts.

We have 200k pics in 8 weeks and not one WT fawn. I was talking with local tpwd biologists (Dana Wright) and this area had less than 1% WT survival this year due to drought and yotes.

I have 2 helicopters booked in early March to perform MLD surveys and shoot yotes and pigs.

We have many very old mule deer bucks that don't meet 20". Once we get MLD that rule is void so we will be killing them all!!

Our wheat feilds are amazing! Easy 70 mulies on them everyday with old dudes in the mix.

Thanks guys for some guidance!!

Comment

Hey bud, foot is all good now!! Took a while for all pain to go away.

Local TPWD biologists advised against due to some sort of poisoning from high dosage of cotton seed?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        One thing I will say about timed feeders is it will help more than some think. I have 4 + yrs doing it. Your better deer will get there's. They will be there when it opens in the AM. The deer will feed all day off & on if they need it or want it. I use the krivoman feeders & set them to close at 6 in the evening & open 7 in the AM.
                        We've gone to this strategery and it works. I open mine at 30 minutes before sunrise, and close 30 minutes after sunset.

Comment

Where is this happening? Its not in McMullen County. Here its about the same price as protein.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                            Hey bud, foot is all good now!! Took a while for all pain to go away.

Local TPWD biologists advised against due to some sort of poisoning from high dosage of cotton seed?
                            Been feeding cotton for years, never heard of this and have not had deer die from it.

Comment

Just pull the seed a couple months before the rut.

IMO-- if feeding protein,free choice is the best option as it will not exclude age classes. When bucks are in batchelor groups, the dominant buck will eat and not allow others to eat. When he leaves they all leave with him. Two sources will help at each station such as protein and seed in the same pen.

Comment

Working...
                              X