Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Hot Shot" Business/Cost per Mile?....Need Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Hot Shot" Business/Cost per Mile?....Need Advice.

I officially retired, again, on June 22nd.
    My wife bought me a '08 F-150 King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 5.4L from a friend.
    It has 34k miles on it. It's my birthday/retirement present.
    My friends in the oil business said I would be back as I will soon get bored with being "Mr. Mom."
    I must admit that I am getting the "itchy-scratchies" and would like to do a little something with all the time I now have on my hands.
    I have been asked many times to run here and there for parts for pumping units and salt water pumps. They want to pay me but I don't know how much to charge.
    My research has turned up $.67 to $.97 per mile. Big difference there.
    Once again, I turn to the GS Brain Trust. Any ideas, hints, secrets?

.97 cents per mile will cover your wear and tear, gas and time. Seems reasonable to me. Now you could also say, I'll charge 10% of what the device or pump or whatever costs.

Comment

Thanks CB.
      The company I retired from are oil producers and they pay their sub-contract pumpers $1.25/mile to use their personal vehicles. Driving on location from lease to lease can be a lot of wear and tear on a vehicle as many times you have to be in 4WD. Most of my work will be over-the-road I'm hoping.
      I'm also thinking that $.97 will be portal-to-portal (door-to-door).
      I don't need to make a ton o' money. What's a retired ol' geezer need? Beer, bullets and bait, so I don't think UPS will be in danger.

Comment

Keep in mind that $.97/mile you are seeing is a rate charged by hotshot drivers pulling a flatbed gooseneck loaded and deadhead. Most would charge less per mile if they aren't hauling around a trailer (which has to be DOT inspected by the way, not a cheap expense).

I had a small hotshot company for 2 years but it was 20 years ago. I had a 24' and a 32' trailer setup being towed by a crew cab Dodge dually with custom turbo on a diesel motor. I ran 120,000 miles a year, had a driver who could go days without sleep. He wanted miles. LOL

Comment

You keep getting that itch and you can't help your self call me, I have loads of trailers that have to be delivered........................always

Comment

Not sure about hotshot, but I have slot of equipment moved, sometimes great distances, and it runs around $2.00 a LOADED mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulldraw View Post
              Keep in mind that $.97/mile you are seeing is a rate charged by hotshot drivers pulling a flatbed gooseneck loaded and deadhead. Most would charge less per mile if they aren't hauling around a trailer (which has to be DOT inspected by the way, not a cheap expense).

I had a small hotshot company for 2 years but it was 20 years ago. I had a 24' and a 32' trailer setup being towed by a crew cab Dodge dually with custom turbo on a diesel motor. I ran 120,000 miles a year, had a driver who could go days without sleep. He wanted miles. LOL
              Sounds a little too ambitious for this ol' feller.
              My "gentleman's truck" which seems to be mostly luxury car has a bumper pull towing package only. Still have my CDL though!

Comment

you're worth whatever they will pay you.

charge 'em $2.00 a mile until they stop paying -- your price is whatever you set it at.

if you drive a part 200 miles one way and two hundred miles back home, it's gonna take you all day. Plus $150 in fuel.

that will buy a little beer, bullets and bait, but not a new truck when the time comes.....

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  you're worth whatever they will pay you.

charge 'em $2.00 a mile until they stop paying -- your price is whatever you set it at.

if you drive a part 200 miles one way and two hundred miles back home, it's gonna take you all day. Plus $150 in fuel.

that will buy a little beer, bullets and bait, but not a new truck when the time comes.....
                  Dang son. I'm worth $1,000 a mile......collectin' might be tough.
                  At my my age, I fear this may be my last truck! Jest kiddin'.....

Comment

hang in there and Happy Birthday!

Comment

Thank you young man.
                      I don't care what the rest of the bunch here on the Green Screen says about you!

Comment

Big demand for this right now. We can't find empty trucks down here in Corpus Christi right now, I'd say $2.00 a mile is about right. At least $1.50 per mile, for sure wouldn't go any lower than that for off road deliveries.

Comment

Flatlander what are you looking for I need to find something to do on off days.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkusmc View Post
                            Thank you young man.
                            I don't care what the rest of the bunch here on the Green Screen says about you!

that makes two of us......

Comment

Mileage rates vary with where you are, load weight, existing fuel rates, distance, etc. Where will you be driving? I can supply you with the average rate per mile for the past 90 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X