No announcement yet.

Protein Pellet Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me TDN has more to do with the amount of bang you are getting for your buck (in this case $). By definition it's the Total Digestible Nutrient. I can build a ration that has all the right numbers but if it has a low TDN then the animals consuming that ration cannot actually use or absorb/metabolize a high percentage of the nutrients in the ration.
    As far as consumption it's really an independent factor. To me consumption has more to do with the make up and palatability of the feed itself. I feel that the peanuts do offer maximum palatability in this feed. Along with high protein and great fat make up. Plus you have to factor in the flavor and smell it adds to this feed.
    One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned is we also use an all natural flavoring agent that really sets this feed apart from any other feed on the market or any other natural forage available. I firmly believe that also adds to the palatability and consumption of our Double Down product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Protein Pellet Ingredients

Originally posted by DF&G View Post
      To me TDN has more to do with the amount of bang you are getting for your buck (in this case $). By definition it's the Total Digestible Nutrient. I can build a ration that has all the right numbers but if it has a low TDN then the animals consuming that ration cannot actually use or absorb/metabolize a high percentage of the nutrients in the ration.
      As far as consumption it's really an independent factor. To me consumption has more to do with the make up and palatability of the feed itself. I feel that the peanuts do offer maximum palatability in this feed. Along with high protein and great fat make up. Plus you have to factor in the flavor and smell it adds to this feed.

One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned is we also use an all natural flavoring agent that really sets this feed apart from any other feed on the market or any other natural forage available. I firmly believe that also adds to the palatability and consumption of our Double Down product.

Anise is like crack to deer! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Comment

Well shoot there goes the neighborhood, and our big secret. [emoji12]

Comment

Jason I'm glad you answered a few questions here (and in my emails).

Guys if you call or email them they aren't hiding anything and will let you know what you want to know about feeds. I just need to get a little to San Angelo to try out

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
            Black Gold....

Where are you located and how do you have so many feed tags?
            LOL... Im in Shiner and we just got back from filling feeders at our lease in Dryden and we took my truck so between the 3 of us, that's what we used. I combine a few different feeds as I buy a little each week so I have what I need when it's time to head west again. Haven't fed DD yet, but got some yesterday for the next trip west.

I'm waiting to see what AntlerMax says their TDN is and based on that will probably combine DD, AntlerMax, and a little Roasted Soybeans in my next feeder fiil.
            Based on absolutely ZERO science, but I think mixing feed types in same feeder might be beneficial.

Comment

Ok.... it's way too early for me to be doing math but here's where my mind is going and tell me if I'm totally off base.

Right now I have Double Down with the highest TDN at 83% and MG20 with the lowest at 61%.

I can get 2 bags (100 pounds) of DD for $28 so basically $28 for 83 pounds of digestible protein. That comes out to 34 cents per pound of digestible protein.

I can get 100 pounds of MG 20 for $19 but that only gives me 61 pounds of digestible protein at a cost of 31 cents per pound of digestible.

HERE IS WHERE I SEE THE BIG DIFFERENCE:

With DD, my 1,000 pound feeder is actually feeding 830 pounds of digestible protein, and with the MG it's only feeding 610 pounds of digestible protein.... That is VERY significant in my books.....especially at only a 3 cent difference per digestible pound of protein.

Am I correct in my figuring???

Anxious to see what the TDN of Antlermax is....
              Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-03-2016, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                Ok.... it's way too early for me to be doing math but here's where my mind is going and tell me if I'm totally off base.

Right now I have Double Down with the highest TDN at 83% and MG20 with the lowest at 61%.

I can get 2 bags (100 pounds) of DD for $28 so basically $28 for 83 pounds of digestible protein. That comes out to 34 cents per pound of digestible protein.

I can get 100 pounds of MG 20 for $19 but that only gives me 61 pounds of digestible protein at a cost of 31 cents per pound of digestible.

HERE IS WHERE I SEE THE BIG DIFFERENCE:

With DD, my 1,000 pound feeder is actually feeding 830 pounds of digestible protein, and with the MG it's only feeding 610 pounds of digestible protein.... That is VERY significant in my books.....especially at only a 3 cent difference per digestible pound of protein.

Am I correct in my figuring???

Anxious to see what the TDN of Antlermax is....
                Looks right to me....This really has me thinking, but at the end of the day on a LF place again it is supplemental feed and $$$ to me means more. I just cant spend $12-13 a bag. At least the 18% MVP is a little higher at 65%

Comment

Just got a reply from Cary Zipp at Red chain Feeds. Their two pellets 17% and 20% test out at 60-65% TDN. This is disappointing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                    Just got a reply from Cary Zipp at Red chain Feeds. Their two pellets 17% and 20% test out at 60-65% TDN. This is disappointing to me.
                    Dang that's another I was curious about

Comment

Still waiting on ANTLERMAX But so far:

TDN %

Double Down = 82.6%
                      L&E = 76.7%
                      Red Chain 20 = 65%
                      Fehner = 64.7%
                      MG 18% MVP = 64.7%
                      MG 20% ST = 60.9%
                      Red Chain 17 = 60%

Comment

Just got off the phone with Antlermax.... Antlermax 20 is 67%
                        ...dang

Comment

TDN %

Double Down = 82.6%
                          L&E = 76.7%
                          Antlermax 20 = 67%
                          Red Chain 20 = 65%
                          Fehner = 64.7%
                          MG 18% MVP = 64.7%
                          MG 20% ST = 60.9%
                          Red Chain 17 = 60%

Comment

I have an email in to my local feed. At $360/ton it can afford to be a little low though

Comment

Anybody know what is the TDN for Record Rack 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                                I have an email in to my local feed. At $360/ton it can afford to be a little low though
                                Heck yeah you can! I am paying $375 a ton and I thought that was good. My neighbor pays $352 for one of the lower end proteins on this list

But again for the majority of feeds, 65% seems to be the norm +- a few %

Crazy to me DD is so much higher...Imagine if they could come down to $10ish a bag how many customers they would have

Comment

Working...
                                X