No announcement yet.

White Rhinos coming to Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fossil Rim at Glen Rose has some White Rino's there.

Comment

Rhinos are stupid, blind, and grouchy animals...probably liberals.

I'd hate to run into one while walking to my blind lol. Not very many trees to climb.

Comment

I saw a few in Africa behind a regular HF. Then another group controlled by an electric perimeter. Just what I saw when I was there. Cool critters.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          [ATTACH]896955[/ATTACH]
          now that's funny right there I don't care who you are

Comment

They will tear up a bunch of high fences

Comment

They also had burlap sacks hanging off HF so animals wouldn’t run into them or something along those lines... I had too many sundowners the night before. This memory is a little foggy lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                My husband said on Monday that he heard on Texas Ag News that African countries are going to send white rhinos to south Texas in an effort to save them from extinction. Apparently, south Texas does a better job protecting against poachers than these African countries and south Texas environment mirrors the native habitat for these white rhinos.

My initial thoughts - I'd like to see the article first, then, why not? Texas has saved several other animals from extinction.

My next thought - what kind of fence does one need to keep a rhino in???

As my father in law used to say -- "Someone got the bright idea ...."
                What other animals has Texas saved from extinction?

Comment

The republican caucus in Washington is already full of them. We shouldn't be protecting them.

Comment

Wasnt there a movie, and a couple remakes, kind of like this?

"Life, uh, finds a way"

Comment

My next thought - what kind of fence does one need to keep a rhino in??? "

They are actually pretty docile and wouldn't purposely go through barriers unless they become startled and then not much will stop them

Comment

The initial round of HIGH FENCING in Texas, was done during the 60s and 70s to protect Rhinos here in Texas. This is nothing new, it was done in Gillispie & Blanco Counties then as an initiative to save them. And several other species were introduced, as world-wide awareness of depleting species was placed on the forefront of environmental protection.

Sure wished we could do more to save many of the species there and elsewhere from extinction.

Comment

My husband said on Monday that he heard on Texas Ag News that African countries are going to send white rhinos to south Texas in an effort to save them from extinction. Apparently, south Texas does a better job protecting against poachers than these African countries and south Texas environment mirrors the native habitat for these white rhinos.

My initial thoughts - I'd like to see the article first, then, why not? Texas has saved several other animals from extinction.

My next thought - what kind of fence does one need to keep a rhino in???

As my father in law used to say -- "Someone got the bright idea ...."
                          Did a Google search and found a couple of articles from May 2015 talking about it...maybe it's gaining some traction?

With poaching at an all-time high, conservation groups propose moving 6% of South Africa’s white rhinos to a comparable climate in the US

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            What other animals has Texas saved from extinction?
                            The largest population of Indian Blackbuck is here in Texas...they're nearly extinct in India

In Nepal, the last surviving population of blackbuck inhabits the Blackbuck Conservation Area south of the Bardia National Park. In 2008, the population was estimated at 184. Source

Comment

From what I understand the main reason it hasn't already been happening is $$$. Very expensive to catch, transport (especially transport), & care for once they are here.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                They better bring some black ones too or they'll have Sheila Jackson Lee on their case.....
                                Hilarious....sad but true

And her male counterpart

Comment

Working...
                                X