Backcountry vs. REI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backcountry vs. REI

Some may have saw my other thread about tents. I bought one at REI, last they had of that model. I was told I could take it in today and be refunded 20% for the coupon, since if I waited for the sale, it would probably be sold. Today they would not give me the 20%. They recently changed their return policy and also made me leave when I brought my lab in the store (formerly pet friendly business), not today, but strikes 1 and 2.

I returned the tent at REI today and bought it from Backcountry online. After I placed the order, they called me to recommend getting the footprint. They gave me both items 20% off, free two day shipping, and best of all there is no sales tax from Utah to Texas. May not sound like a huge deal, but it saved me just over $200.

I was really impressed with Backcountry. If like me, you have been disappointed with the changes at REI the last few years or even if you are not, you should give Backcountry a chance.

Almost the only time I buy something from REI it's during a garage sale. Other than that, I tend to find it cheaper used or online.

Backcountry or steep and cheap are my go to places

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
      Almost the only time I buy something from REI it's during a garage sale. Other than that, I tend to find it cheaper used or online.

Backcountry or steep and cheap are my go to places
      The guy I talked to said 20% was only off one item, but he said that I just bought an expensive tent and he had no problem doing 20% off on the footprint because of the purchase. Wow.

Comment

Backcountry, Altrec, and Moosejaw is where I do most my shopping. The deals you can get are unbelievable. Also, the more you spend, the more you save. Altrec has given me a 40% off coupon on a couple occasions, and they let you use it even if they are running a sale. The others do the same, but I have found Altrec to be the most generous.

Comment

Only reason I got to REI is to look at stuff, try out packs, try on boots etc. If I find something I like I just find it online. Mostly for better prices and to evade taxes.

Comment

I ebay stuff. Last thing I got in REI was a gift card for my bil.

Comment

I can't believe REI pulled that BS. They have always been good to me even when my hiking shoes wore out in a year. Maybe the bottom line has become more important.

Comment

Working...
              X