Pawn shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pawn shop...

So, lately I have been stopping by local pawn shops about once a week, searching for " that good deal " you always here about at pawn shops when it comes to guns in good shape, or hard to find guns...

I have not seen a gun yet that is fairly priced...
    All are high it seems...

I know they have to make money, its a business I understand that, but what I don't get is how they sell these guns ? Do people really pay these marked prices ???

I have wondered the same thing. I hardly ever go in one but when I have they seem to have the guns priced like they are brand new

Comment

I have never payed anywhere near sticker on a gun at a pawn shop

Comment

I think they account for the fact that people will come in and lowball them when they set their price. I don’t frequent them but I’ve never been in a pawn shop where there was anything that wasn’t negotiable

Comment

I used to stop by a couple of pawn shops years ago for the same reason. I finally said you know I can buy this same pistol brand new for about $75 less than you are asking for this used one and do they really sell them at those prices. He said he knows they are high but most people that stop in have no idea what prices are and think that because it's at a pawn shop they are getting a deal and he sells them all day long at the asking price.

Comment

The internet killed the pawn shop "good deal of the day"

Comment

A few weeks ago I stopped at a pawn shop, they had a old Savage .222 on the shelf that was way overpriced, I stopped the other day willing to offer much less- it was already sold. Story of my life.

Comment

Got a nice Beeman air rifle for $40 last week at one here. I walked away pretty happy.

Comment

Just bought a Rem 700 .270 with scope for $250 at one. Gun does not appear to have been shot.

If you know prices and what they are going for you can find a good deal.

Comment

I do not like chain pawn shops. I buy a lot from the pawn shop and have bought a ton in the last 5 years. I go kill time and drink coffee with the owner. *Not a chain pawn!! He is always fair priced and comes across some real good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by randtx View Post
                      I used to stop by a couple of pawn shops years ago for the same reason. I finally said you know I can buy this same pistol brand new for about $75 less than you are asking for this used one and do they really sell them at those prices. He said he knows they are high but most people that stop in have no idea what prices are and think that because it's at a pawn shop they are getting a deal and he sells them all day long at the asking price.
                      Agreed....at least the pawn shops in our area will let you put them in a "lay away" program and pay it out. Not really certain, but I would bet there are few purchases other than this, but I really don't know. Just my opinion but it's kind of like some of the GS prices....used is used and I REFUSE to pay new prices! Very obvious pricing that's too high for used that "stay and stay" for sale? But you also have to weigh in the factors of sales tax, shipping, FFL fees as most of us realize. Most will not recoup their original buying costs but at least to me it's obvious they are trying to. Don't blame them, but "it is what it is."

I have only bought ONE firearm from a pawn shop over the years and it was a good deal from past experience of owning a gun store years past. Not going to quote my formula I used to value "used" firearms, but I still go by it to this day. I can say I deducted a base value % on used vs new, then discounted according to condition over that. Keep in mind, I made a higher % profit from used buys then reselling vs any new in my store. I basically sold new as a lost leader with a small % markup as the bigger profits were in accessories, scopes, clothing, etc. BUT, that was before the BIG BOX stores were in the Lubbock area and the internet ordering had not become the "go to" thing these days. There was no Gun Broker or others in those days. I also was "visited" by the traditional gun shops and told I did NOT have to sell new so cheap? I was polite and told them to get out and take care of their own business. Funny...I had every law enforcement agency in our area purchase their non-issued hand guns from me, they also came back time and time again for those accessories and ammo as well. But again...that was in the 80's and not todays market place.

Whenever I rarely put a item for sale on the GS, I have applied my formula and almost 100% have sold in a week or two.

Sorry for the detailed response to your OP....but just some factors to consider whether buying or selling.

"Still fun" seeing what's out there and who knows...maybe we all can find that special item we want so bad...AND can live with the price??

Comment

I have bought a ton of guns at pawn shops in the past. I love the mom and pop pawn shops better than the chains. I never go into chain pawn shops. I have always gotten good deals on everything I have bought from them

Comment

Like Biggs says, you have to frequent the non corporate owned pawn shops to find a good deal, and get to know the owners and store employees. I felt like a thief sometimes with the bargains I used to get from the Top Dollar pawn shops in Waco. Sure hated they sold out to a Corporation.

Comment

Four things at pawn shops. Have your chl, low ball the **** out of them, go often to know how long it's been on the shelf and be willing to walk

Comment

For certain chains there is a "code" on their tags to tell you how much money they have in the item.....

Comment

Working...
                              X