Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A letter to my pro gun friends

To my pro gun friends

First, I am as pro second amendment as they come, have been all my life. I do not want to see guns banned. Period
    But, us making points to other pro gun people is like a Preacher trying to convince the congregation that there is a God. Those people in those pews already believe there is a God, so most of the sermon is wasted repetition.

What we need to do as pro-gun folks, is something different than preaching to pro gun folks. That is the point I have been trying to make recently. Unfortunately, when you try to talk to pro-gun folks about finding a solution to our kids dying in school shootings, all they want to hear is GUN CONTROL! GUN CONTROL! GUN CONTROL! That is not what I have been saying, but that is all some have been hearing.

What we need to do as law-abiding gun owners, is be part of the solution. Use logic and act to protect our kids and citizens first, and our guns second. By refusing to hear, or offer viable suggestions or solutions to the problem of school safety for instance, I feel we are sealing the fate and setting the scene for more gun control.

There are far better ways to protect our kids, as we all know banning certain types of weapons will not accomplish the goal, which is Protecting Our Kids so they are Safe at School.

We must be the voice of reason, and not the voice of fear.

I suggest we demand from our legislators, that every school have armed guards. Entrance and exit points should have metal detectors along with the armed guards. Entrance and exit ways should be minimized. Our schools must be fenced to make access more difficult. Security cameras must be mandatory and functional at all times. Every teacher should be trained extensively in how to deal with active shooter situations. Drills should be held maybe even daily until every one on the school campus knows exactly how to respond and what to do in the event of an emergency. I also suggest we remove our kids from school until the schools are made safe to attend. I would also mention when we have a National Emergency, and I consider this to be one, National Guard members are activated. I think Guard members should be posted at every school in America that cannot immediately post hired armed guards.

The only thing required to accomplish this is money. So how are we going to pay for the added security for our children? Is there anyone, any lawful gun owner who would not pay to try to prevent another kid from losing his or her life in our public schools? I propose a School Tax on gun, gun accessory, and ammo sales. We want to keep our guns. I am more than willing to pay a tax on firearms and ammo to go toward making our schools secure and protecting our kids. I would support a 5%, or even a 10% School Tax on the above items for securing our schools.

By refusing to talk logically, and not trying to come up with ways to accomplish the goal of keeping people safe, we are marginalizing our position. Public opinion is turning. We don't want to be viewed as the opposition, or as part of the problem. We must be viewed as helping to achieve a solution to be successful in keeping our rights.

I have been thinking about this. Why couldn't each school superintendent have a meeting with all the teachers (unless of course the superintendent is a liberal wienie) and discuss concealed carry. Ask that any teacher that has their LTC license to see him privately about being able to CC at school, that is based on changing any existing school rule against this. Don't announce who will be carrying- the bad guys will go after them first and the liberals on staff will either freak out at the possibility or mock them and make it known that they carry. If someone is going to come to a school to do harm, the first thing they will do is take out the armed guard. This way, the good guys have a chance to minimize the damage. Or put up a sign that says "This is a safe zone for our kids because we carry."

Comment

Tax for school safety and then a tax for workplace safety then a tax for county safety and then general public safety and then they’ve been taxed right out of existence.

Cannot attack the problem at the surface. What makes someone want to kill lots of people, regardless of the tool used to do it? There is where the effort should be placed. Otherwise we can ban guns or hi capacity magazines or whatever and there will be bombings instead. Or we can keep guns unlimited and there will be shootings.

There is something systemic in our culture that is causing these incidents. Until that is remedied the violence will continue to escalate.

Comment

Whatever side you are on, I am curious how many people have actually contacted the schools that their children attend to find out the policies in place. If you haven't, I would recommend it. I contacted the principal, the superintendent and a school board member at my kid's school and was very impressed with what they have done, what they are looking to do in the future and their willingness to spend a good amount of time discussing it with me.

We cannot legislate against evil, and there are no quick fixes to all of this stuff. However, you can at least contact your kids' schools and find out what they are doing and show that you care. Similar to the thoughts above, discussing it on here is essentially preaching to the choir. I challenge each of you to contact your state representatives and school representatives and show that you are concerned and voice your opinions.
        Last edited by TB80; 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
          I have been thinking about this. Why couldn't each school superintendent have a meeting with all the teachers (unless of course the superintendent is a liberal wienie) and discuss concealed carry. Ask that any teacher that has their LTC license to see him privately about being able to CC at school, that is based on changing any existing school rule against this. Don't announce who will be carrying- the bad guys will go after them first and the liberals on staff will either freak out at the possibility or mock them and make it known that they carry. If someone is going to come to a school to do harm, the first thing they will do is take out the armed guard. This way, the good guys have a chance to minimize the damage. Or put up a sign that says "This is a safe zone for our kids because we carry."
          Like you said the shooter will just go after the armed guard. What you miss is even with armed teachers that "may" lessen the damage is that will 100% be over looked in the next shooting and liberals will still cry for gun control. If the shooter kills 9 instead of 15 sure we will see the difference but liberals will say "see that didn't work!"

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          Tax for school safety and then a tax for workplace safety then a tax for county safety and then general public safety and then they’ve been taxed right out of existence.

Cannot attack the problem at the surface. What makes someone want to kill lots of people, regardless of the tool used to do it? There is where the effort should be placed. Otherwise we can ban guns or hi capacity magazines or whatever and there will be bombings instead. Or we can keep guns unlimited and there will be shootings.

There is something systemic in our culture that is causing these incidents. Until that is remedied the violence will continue to escalate.
          I agree we need to get to the root of the problem.. Except there have always been shootings. It's not worse now than before it's just sensationalized a lot more. Plus we see it more because we have a lot more people. But per capita we don't have a lot more crazies.

Comment

Give them an inch and they will take a mile.
            All the schools around here have armed the teachers.
            I Have a friend that is making a living training them in tactics

Comment

[ATTACH]897559[/ATTACH]

Comment

Mental health and prescription control.

Comment

The problem is half the politicians and 90% of the media do not want to hear any sort of solution that would actually work without restricting gun owner's freedom simply because that is their whole objective. Gun Control is all that matters & anyone with half a brain understands no gun laws will work. You CANNOT legislate immoral & deviant behavior!!

Our forefathers had it right. Any person willing to give up their God given liberties for some sort of perceived safety deserve neither safety or liberty. I'm all in for the solutions that will work, but I will not stand for another inch taken of my 2nd amendment. Don't tread on me!!

This last school shooting was a complete and total fail that needs to be owned by the FBI...they were given multiple warnings on this guy & did not do their jobs. The millions upon millions of AR15's are not the bad guys & 90% of the media is still blaming the weapon on TV right now??

I find it extremely depressing that actual solutions which we could make grounds with cannot be made with the current political climate. You have one side like me that says let's hear the solutions without stomping on the 2nd. The other will not offer or even consider the solutions presented unless some liberty stomping is attached to the answer. It will always be the evil gun & you cannot have reason with so many irrational people.

Individual schools & municipalities will have to start working now & not wait for Washington...it's not if but when.

Alice HS had a lockdown today with a threat to shoot up the school. McAllen ISD had two threats on the 15th & 16th with two students detained doing the same the next two days after FL. It's most definitely a big changing society problem in this puzzle to our fix.

Comment

This is the dumbest thing I have seen online today.
                    Oh the irony
                    These are not useful contributions to a(ny) discussion, and are exactly the type of comments that we are trying to prevent on this forum. If you can't offer an intelligent response to the discussion, please find another place to hang out.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Most major school districts have plenty of money to accomplish security... Just back off on the 30,000 seat bowl stadiums, artificial turf fields for football, baseball, kickball (AKA soccer) and there's plenty of money to do security and pay in the class room teachers a decent salary... I'm taxed PLENTY, and the VAST majority of property and business owners don't have kids in the schools they are taxed to fund...

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
                        I suggest we demand from our legislators, that every school have armed guards. Entrance and exit points should have metal detectors along with the armed guards. Entrance and exit ways should be minimized. Our schools must be fenced to make access more difficult. Security cameras must be mandatory and functional at all times. Every teacher should be trained extensively in how to deal with active shooter situations. Drills should be held maybe even daily until every one on the school campus knows exactly how to respond and what to do in the event of an emergency. I also suggest we remove our kids from school until the schools are made safe to attend. I would also mention when we have a National Emergency, and I consider this to be one, National Guard members are activated. I think Guard members should be posted at every school in America that cannot immediately post hired armed guards.
                        I think these ideas are completely irrational and overstate the problem. You are attempting to turn our schools into minimum security prisons. Do the math on how many schools there are in America and you will quickly see that a percentage-based gun tax will not even come close to approximating the resources needed to accomplish your plan.

And honestly, school shootings don't happen often enough to warrant any of this.

Comment

Double tap

Comment

Suggesting a gun sales tax to pay for security is a liberal thought process & partial gun control in it's own right...again, the guns are not the problem. Asking the law abiding gun consumer to pay extra is beyond insulting & misguided thinking.

Its also an admission of taking the blame!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I was going to try and explain "Value of Life" but I'll let people read on it.

There are other terms that basically do the math and show that every dollar spent costs lives in other ways. In other words if we spend 1 billion on armed guards and metal detectors to save 20 lives per year there would be "x" lives lost in other areas wher the money could have been spent (better water, drugs, safer roads, etc). And that "x" number would for sure be WAY higher than 20

Comment

Working...
                              X