Pecos River Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecos River Adventure

I hope this thread is in the right forum! Just wanted to share a little adventure my finance and I had this past week, just before the big rains. I compiled a little video which is posted on my Facebook profile (posted as public):

If you're interested in seeing more photos that catalogue our journey somewhat, look for them also on my Facebook profile (they're posted as public): @LizaMarieMoon

Long story short, the Pecos River holds CLEAR water, BIG fish, and BREATHTAKING views. If there are any serious kayak fishers out there, we recommend the trip. This run was 55 miles with nowhere to get in or out in between. Pandale crossing to the high bridge at 90. We brought frozen meat in the Yeti & ate fresh fish two nights. We used a water filter so we did not need to pack water.

Last edited by LittleLizaMarie; 08-26-2017, 03:18 PM.

Awsome, God's Country

Comment

Great times, great looking couple, and I'm glad to see you using spinning reels!

Comment

That looks awesome. I would love to do that.

Comment

How long did it take on the river?

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
            How long did it take on the river?

We got on the water at Pandale crossing Sunday morning about 9:00 and got off Thursday afternoon at 90 at about 1:45. It took us 4 1/2 days but we could have done it in four. The last 15 miles is on the lake and it's awful, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Spectacular scenery and congrats by the way!

Comment

Did you use a shuttle service? Were campsites easy to come by? How ere the rapids, did any need to be portaged? I've done the Devils a couple times, but the Pecos is definitely on my short list.

Comment

Awesome looking trip on our list as well

Comment

Great trip!!!

Comment

I enjoyed that, thanks for letting us see the pictures.

I've always liked the Pecos...beauty in a really rough part of Texas.

Comment

That was really cool, great job on the video.

Comment

Nice capture of the proposal! Congrats!

Comment

Nice!!!!! We fly fished a low water crossing near iraan earlier this summer. Beautiful river!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                              Did you use a shuttle service? Were campsites easy to come by? How ere the rapids, did any need to be portaged? I've done the Devils a couple times, but the Pecos is definitely on my short list.

We have a friend that lives in the area, there are no shuttles or outfitters in the area. "Campsites" were just dry riverbed under cliff faces, so we would basically paddle until we reached our goal for the day and then start looking for a place to set up camp. It wasn't too hard to find flat places next to the river. Once you hit the lake there is basically nowhere to camp so the last stretch is tough because you just have to get it done.

The rapids were great. Some were challenging, but the river is low so worst case scenario we could get out and walk. There were a couple little waterfalls, so I wouldn't recommend taking a brand new beginner. The only portage was the weir dam and it was very easy to handle.

We were supposed to do the Devils but it is even lower than the Pecos and the outfitter we talked to said it would take us three days to do 15 miles. On the Pecos we were doing about 12 miles a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X