Anyone ever had a loved one committed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever had a loved one committed?

Wondering if anyone has ever had a loved one hospitalized for mental health reasons? Had a loved one admitted today and feeling a bit guilty but I know I did the right thing. Any advice?

I had a family member that was. She was having some real issues. We didn't feel guilty because it got her the help she needed.
    Last edited by jrfan; 08-03-2017, 08:16 PM. Reason: None

Comment

I have had one. Getting an attorney is an important step step. Someone needs to be able to make decisions based on health and someone else needs to be the one to make money decisions. An attorney can get it all worked out , disability may be an option for the person as well.

Comment

Not to pry! But did it help her?

Comment

No advice but prayers up for you the your loved one.

Comment

I haven't but given the right circumstances I would say it is the right thing to do

Comment

I have. More than once (MIL). Dealing with mental health issues is extremely tough.

Comment

Up

Comment

That would be a tough situation to be in for sure. My wife's grandmother had to be hospitalized several times back in the 60's in the days of electroshock therapy. They were never really ever able to help her and my wife's poor grandpa was miserable and overwhelmed because of her issues but stuck by her side and cared for her until she passed.

Comment

Originally posted by jleverett329 View Post
                    Not to pry! But did it help her?
                    Yes , she is doing quite well now. I spent a few nights driving around austin looking for her in the past. She has an apartment now and is doing much better. She is also on her medication full time.

Comment

Personally no, but I can speak from the perspective of someone who is on the other end of these types of things frequently. I explain to a lot of people that a mental health facility is not and should never be viewed as punishment. They are designed to provide medical services to those who need help with problems that a normal doctor can't treat adequately. With all that said, I highly recommend to handle it privately and not use any institutions used by the state. They are crowded and most people don't get the care they need there. Look at it this way, would you feel guilty about taking someone to the doctor for the flu? Different circumstances but same concept. Best of luck to you and your family, hopefully everything gets worked out and is better for all involved

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter2989 View Post
                        Personally no, but I can speak from the perspective of someone who is on the other end of these types of things frequently. I explain to a lot of people that a mental health facility is not and should never be viewed as punishment. They are designed to provide medical services to those who need help with problems that a normal doctor can't treat adequately. With all that said, I highly recommend to handle it privately and not use any institutions used by the state. They are crowded and most people don't get the care they need there. Look at it this way, would you feel guilty about taking someone to the doctor for the flu? Different circumstances but same concept. Best of luck to you and your family, hopefully everything gets worked out and is better for all involved
                        I have on several occasions. When dealing with medications that alter the brain it best done in a controlled environment. Mental illness is just what it says,an illness. It can be treated. I wish it could be cured. My loved one has been hospitalize several times. They get lined out and going good but then the meds dont work so good and have to be redone. They have finally gotten a great psychiatrist and hasn't had to be in the hospital in quite a while. Now all that is needed is a little tweeking of the meds occasionally. I will say that we went through several Drs. before we found the right one.Do not give up . My loved one is now happier than they have been in 60 years.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                          I have on several occasions. When dealing with medications that alter the brain it best done in a controlled environment. Mental illness is just what it says,an illness. It can be treated. I wish it could be cured. My loved one has been hospitalize several times. They get lined out and going good but then the meds dont work so good and have to be redone. They have finally gotten a great psychiatrist and hasn't had to be in the hospital in quite a while. Now all that is needed is a little tweeking of the meds occasionally. I will say that we went through several Drs. before we found the right one.Do not give up . My loved one is now happier than they have been in 60 years.

Thank you so much for the advice and the response. I think the hardest part right now is that she has phone privileges and she keeps calling me crying asking me to come get her, she doesn't need to be there, she feels like she's in prison and it just rips my heart out man! But she's been so scared for so long and letting her sickness consume her life, I just didn't feel like I had any other choice anymore because I have exhausted all my options!

Comment

I will be praying for this situation. I can only imagine how tough it must be to be dealing with something like this.

Comment

I have a cousin that is constantly being committed. She is very manipulative, which is very common, and because of this her mother hasn't been able to get medical power of attorney. Every time they've gone before a judge (she refuses to take medication even when in the hospital) she has appeared competent enough to make her own decisions.
                              She has been violent in the past and whenever she goes off her medication the only help my aunt has been able to get is by having a judge issue a warrant. I know there has to be a better way but from what we've seen there isn't good help out there for mental illness without a ton of money. It's very sad. Her issues didn't appear till she hit her 20's and after her father passed she couldn't hide it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X