1958 Ford and an oak tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1958 Ford and an oak tree

Back in January of 2014, I joined the American Bladesmith Society. Back in July of 2014, I finally built a gas forge. Back in November, I fired it up at a hammer-in with our local knife club and forged out three blades. This is one of those blades, forged from a portion of leaf spring from a 1958 Ford. There are people out there who will say, "leaf springs ARE such and such steel" based on a chart they found somewhere. I say hogwash on that. This steel IS 1958 Ford leaf spring, and it IS hardened to 59 Rockwell. Without precise testing, spectroscopy, or whatever, that's all I can tell you for certain. While I've not forged maybe 15 blades, it's all grinding in the end. (Edit to add... while this is maybe my 15th forged blade, this is the 357th knife I've made. The rest have been stock removal.) With an eye to the International Custom Cutlery Expo in September, and journeyman smith testing in 2017, I consider this a good practice effort for meeting the guild and JS fit and finish standards. All that said, here are the specs: The knife is 8 3/4 long with a 4 1/8 blade. The blade is 3/16 thick at the ricasso with distal taper. The 600 grit satin finish is clean. The guard is 416 stainless, fit up tight, with a fiber and a 416 spacer. The handle is natural sheoak with an oil finish. Kind of in keeping with the "oak" theme, the right hand sheath is tooled in an oak leaf and acorns pattern. I've done basketweave a whole bunch, but this is my first effort at picture tooling on a sheath.

Mark side

back side

Handle contour and distal taper

guard fitup and plunge finish

fancy sheath!
    Last edited by Jason Fry; 02-16-2015, 10:44 PM.

Beautiful.

Comment

That is gorgeous! Is it for sale?

Comment

Comment

Very nice.

My two seem so far away from 357 and your quality is evidence of that.

Comment

Looking really good

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Spectacular!
                I love your work!

Comment

Looks great Jason I have plans that at some point this year I'm going to try and convert over to forging at least 80 percent of my knives I have the time in with abs I just have to get my forging up to par to prepare for the journeyman stuff

Comment

Very nice knife

Comment

Very nice Jason!

Comment

Thanks for the nice words. That's cool, Bama, I made the mistake of not joining early enough. I have my stuff nearly up to par, but don't have the time in. It's irritating, but my own fault, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                          Thanks for the nice words. That's cool, Bama, I made the mistake of not joining early enough. I have my stuff nearly up to par, but don't have the time in. It's irritating, but my own fault, I guess.
                          How do you get the grain in the wood to show so well? I have a handle with really nice characteristics that I want to bring out.

Comment

beautiful knife

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                              How do you get the grain in the wood to show so well? I have a handle with really nice characteristics that I want to bring out.
                              This piece had good contrast in the grain already. I finished it with maybe 7 or 10 coats of teak oil. I like an oil finish for bringing out the grain, personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X