Bushnell 5 mp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bushnell 5 mp

I like the idea of using AA batteries in a camera, as long as the battery life is good. They are lighter and cheaper than C's and D's and you can buy a 36 pack for not much more than a 12 pack of the others. From what everyone has said, the Covert and Scoutguards have been great on battery life. All cameras take pretty good pics. The trigger speed, although it seems to be good, is not a big concern for me. The IR looked a little weak in most pics I've seen, but it wasn't a deterant.

Last week, I pulled the trigger on the Bushnell 5 mp Covert style camera. It's a little bitty thing. Smallest camera since the old, original Stealth cams. They used AA batteries, but they ate them at an alarming rate. The Bushnell says on the box "1 year battery life". That's with the blue and silver batteries. It claims 6 mos. with Alkaline. If these claims are true, then the camera will cover the additional cost within a year. I only put it out for one night this last week, but I set it for 1 minute and 3 pics. I also set it on high sensitivity. I got about 460 pics. So far, I like it. It fits in a pocket and you can haul it around very easily. I'll use it a lot the next two months on the Axis Quest and if it performs like it did in that one night and if the battery life is as advertised, then it just may be the camera to get.

It does have a different format than my other cams, but I let the camera format the card every time, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't, then you may need to keep the cards separate and use the Bushnell cards in the Bushnell cam.

Here's a few pics,. It's easy to set, but while playing with it, I removed the time stamp. It does put it on there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 bucks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	24761718

Name:	brows already.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	24761719

Name:	coon problem.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	24761720

Name:	good flash.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24761721

Name:	mark and tommy working.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	24761722

Name:	May buck.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24761723

Name:	rabbits.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24761724

Name:	too low.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24761725

Name:	turkeys.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24761726

Name:	windmill buck.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	24761727

is that the trophy cam? How much did it set you back?

Pictures look fine to me. Camera looks to be fairly close to the feeder.

Also... what do you think the trigger speed is?

Comment

Supposedly around a second for trigger speed.

199+ tax at BPS.

Yep, it's the Trophy Cam

We put the cams about 15 ft from the protein feeders. I want their horns and head. For corn feeders where the feed is spread out more, we put them further back to cover the area.

Comment

Good to see Doc.....I too experienced the slightly dimmer night pics but none were so that I couldn't make the deer out. The day times pics were great. After that quick three day check, we won't check them again until late June.... I'm hoping my cards last that long with the trigger speed and sensitivity of these cams....

on edit...this was with the Scoutguard SG 550 a similar camera for those reading
        Last edited by Smart; 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I'll be watching this thread. Intersted in how this will work for you.

Comment

Looks like you need to do some corn bandit control

Comment

Doc, you have a coon problem.

Comment

You sure do seem to have alotta coons.... if ya ever feel like ya need to reduce dat number. you know who you can call!

Comment

TD,
                  Like I told you, I am getting really "itchy" to buy some cams. I don't know if I can wait until your test is over, but I'm gonna try. I usually don't start TC's back up until June or July anyway. Thanks for being a guinea pig!

Comment

Yeah, I need to move all our live traps into this pen. At one time, this pen had virtually no coons. Now, it's a coon buffet every night. First the live traps, then the leg hold trap, then finish them off with some .17 night action.

Chance, I think this little camera will be the "real deal". We won't put our cams out until July. We'll probably go this route. I have 8 cameras at our ranch in San Angelo. They aren't working right now, but they're still out. I just counted my cameras in the garage. Not counting the Leaf Rivers at the Junco (I have 4), I have 12 in the garage counting the new Bushnell and Mailman's 540. Just what I need, more cameras. LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X