No announcement yet.

rage vs slick trick blood trails.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot 'em both and have gotten GREAT blood trails on both with good shot placement.

Comment

WCB said it all.

It's all in where you hit them and where the exit hole is...

I shoot the rage 3 blade.

bjohn

Comment

Shoot the rage. If you make a good shot, there will be no need to follow the blood trail. The animal die right in front of you. The Rage rocks!

Comment

shot placement counts the most, not the choice of the broadhead (other than the blades be sharp on what ever you use). Most people have their favorite broadheads, kind of like your favorite fishing lure, works for some but not everyone. Good hunting!!!!

Mudbone

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
            Update: Shot my deer this year w/a Grizz Trick. Blood everywhere. It's all in where you hit them and where the exit hole is...
            Shoot what you have confidence in.
            I have never ever ever ever been a slick trick fan as Landrover can attest. I did however purchase some Grizz Triks from Arrowsmith this past year and killed severa deer with them. It is by far the most impressive head I have ever shot. Entrance holes were pushing 1-3/4 of an inch and the exit holes were god awfully big. Twice there were peices of lung laying on the ground in the bloodtrail. No moving parts NEETHER !!!!!!!!!

Comment

after shooting a rage, it looks like a murder scene.............. a little rage in the cage

Comment

never have shot the slick tricks, but shot mu first two deer this year with rage 3 blade. looked like somebody dumped a bucket of paint. made a believer of me.

Comment

I just got some STs and hope to smack a ram. I will update what happens in about 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by stickflinger7 View Post
                    after shooting a rage, it looks like a murder scene.............. a little rage in the cage
                    It was a murder scene

Comment

I just started shooting rage 2blade. I got two doe this yr. the last one my shot was a little high. Again good placement good blood. I trailed her on my hands and knees from where i shot her too 70 yr away with no more than a few specs of blood most of the blood was on grass and limbs she rubbed on. I do plan on shooting rage next year but need to work on my placement.

Comment

What will happen with these heads when you shoot straight into the shoulderblade of a large buck or hog? I doubt blood trail will even be an option. The slick trick 4 blade offers a lot of restince through thick bone and i have never trusted a flimsy mechaical to break through a rib, much less a well developed shoulder blade. Everyone bleeds when you hit the right spot. Find a head that leaves blood when you screw up and let go of a bad arrow. I have never had trouble with 125 grain Montecs but am looking forward to trying the 125 grain Steel Force Sabertooth.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                          Update: Shot my deer this year w/a Grizz Trick. Blood everywhere. It's all in where you hit them and where the exit hole is...
                          Shoot what you have confidence in.
                          X2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grizz is definantly a competitor for bloodtrail of the year head. Alot more blood on the ground with them than the standard ST's. Before someone posts that pick of the ST killed deer a few years ago laying in a pool of blood I am reffering to most of the time...

Comment

I don't shoot big cuts for good shot placement. I shoot them for those times when my shot placement isn't so good. I'm not perfect, so shoot me. LOL If I shoot too far back, or high, or anywhere on the fringe, I want that big cut working for me. As far as shoulder blades, if you hit the scapula, you're in trouble with any head. First of all, you shot too high and there's not much behind the scapula that will kill a deer. So, most of the time when people say they penetrated the shoulder, it isn't the scapula. I shot a thunderhead 100 grain head out of an 80 lb bow shooting a 450 grain arrow 285 fps into the scapula of a 10 pt from a treestand at about 25 yards and it knocked him to the ground. The arrow only penetrated to the scapula and the deer got up and ran off. If that arrow couldn't penetrate, then I doubt there's much out there that would actually penetrate the scapula. I'd have to see the hole to believe it. I stay away from the shoulder.

So, I want a BIG cut to make up for mistakes and that big cut currently resides in a 2 in. cut 2 blade Rage. My second buck this season I located with binoculars from the spot where he was shot. I kneeled and glassed to see if I could see him down and the first thing I saw was not the horns or the body, but the LONG red gash on his side. I'm just really impressed with this head.

Comment

I will shoot both this year. I shot the rage for the first time last year and it left a huge hole and one heck of a trail.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
                                I don't shoot big cuts for good shot placement. I shoot them for those times when my shot placement isn't so good. I'm not perfect, so shoot me. LOL If I shoot too far back, or high, or anywhere on the fringe, I want that big cut working for me. As far as shoulder blades, if you hit the scapula, you're in trouble with any head. First of all, you shot too high and there's not much behind the scapula that will kill a deer. So, most of the time when people say they penetrated the shoulder, it isn't the scapula. I shot a thunderhead 100 grain head out of an 80 lb bow shooting a 450 grain arrow 285 fps into the scapula of a 10 pt from a treestand at about 25 yards and it knocked him to the ground. The arrow only penetrated to the scapula and the deer got up and ran off. If that arrow couldn't penetrate, then I doubt there's much out there that would actually penetrate the scapula. I'd have to see the hole to believe it. I stay away from the shoulder.

So, I want a BIG cut to make up for mistakes and that big cut currently resides in a 2 in. cut 2 blade Rage. My second buck this season I located with binoculars from the spot where he was shot. I kneeled and glassed to see if I could see him down and the first thing I saw was not the horns or the body, but the LONG red gash on his side. I'm just really impressed with this head.
                                Spot on

Comment

Working...
                                X