Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick:
    If you put that same 300-grain Bishop, adding a 100-grain insert, on a 400-spine carbon and shoot it out of your 68-lb bow, you'll have a 10 gpp test. But it's already been done and shown in post 26. That's almost exactly what my set-up is with the 680-grain Warrior and Tuffhead combo, when shot out of the Weathers bow at 69 lbs with my draw length.

Looking forward to what 11 gpp does with your set-up.

Might notice, by the way that the same 680-grain arrow shot from my 50- and 55-lb bows penetrated almost all the way to the back side of the barrel, although they didn't stick in or exit the back side. Still had something like two feet of penetration. That arrow would be 13.6 gpp on the 50-lber and 12.36 gpp on the 55-lb bow. 'Course, from those lighter bows, you can time it with a calendar....

Comment

I just put together some arrows to try with the Tall Tines. They flew excellent. 30.25" Black Eagle 400 spine with 175 grains up front.
      Arrow Total Weight (grains) 490.3

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP) 10.3

Front of Center (FOC) % 17.7

Arrow Speed (ft/sec) 183.4

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs) 36.6

I need to go to work. Got two lifts to work on but now I want to get out an old barrel and . . .

Comment

Well here it is.21 yards. First is with the 175 grain Wenzel three blade. Penetration was a lot less than I expected.
        Second was the Grizz Stick single bevel also in 175. Much better penetration.
        Both arrows were tough to get out.
        55 gallon drum from one of those old feeders.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone know where I can get free 30 gallon barrels around Decatur?

Comment

Well I tried some 27.5" 500 spine with 175 grain heads out of the Tall Tines. Penetration results were similar and flight was good with the heads as well. First shot with the Griz hit the raised ridge on the barrel so I shot it again to how much difference it would make. Not a lot.
            A little better with the Woodsman head though.
            Arrow Total Weight (grains) 447.9

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP) 9.4

Front of Center (FOC) % 19.4

Arrow Speed (ft/sec) 191.9

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs) 36.6

Last edited by DRT; 03-20-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Then tried the Widow with the light arrows with 100 grain heads. The three were a Thunderhead, a Carbon Express head and a used Rage Hypodermic.
              The Rage literally bounced of and straight back 13 yards. Broke one blade and only penetrated the pointy tip.
              The other two penetrated. Sorta.

Comment

By the way arrow removal was very easy on these.

Comment

Just for giggles I shot it with a field point with that set up. Arrow removal was not easy.

Comment

Here's a shot from 90-lb longbow (more like 85 @my 27" drawlength), shooting an 11/32" cedar arrow weighing 806 grains.
                    About 10" into barrel using 300 grain single bevel Tuffhead (225-gr. head + 75-gr. adapter).

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a shot from the same longbow above, using a 340 spine Beman carbon arrow weighing 635 grains, resulting in almost 17" penetration of barrel.

Comment

Next is the Weathers recurve (69-lbs at my 27" draw length), shooting the 806-gr. cedar arrow. Results in 20 inches of penetration with exit from back of barrel.

Edit: No idea why pictures show up like this. (There are three pics.)
                        Last edited by tradtiger; 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Here's a shot with an 11 GPP arrow.

It did real well, but not quite as good as the 9.4 GPP arrows.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

Here's a slideshow recap of all 7 shots, so you can really get a good look, and compare them side by side.

I shot each of these into the barrel three times each, with the same results every time.

I shot, and tuned every arrow to shoot good from the bow, and shot enough times to know the trajectory differences.

There is no positive transition from the broadheads to the shafts to impede penetration. The broadheads all make a bigger hole than the shafts are in diameter.

Every broadhead was shaving sharp for each of it's shots into the barrel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                            I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

I have one final test I will do when I get a chance, and that is to shoot the barrel with a 100# +/- bow, and between 9 - 10 gpp arrow weight.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                                I have one final test I will do when I get a chance, and that is to shoot the barrel with a 100# +/- bow, and between 9 - 10 gpp arrow weight.

Rick
                                Wouldn't do me any good. I could only draw a 100lb bow about 3".

Comment

Working...
                                X