Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scored an East Texas Lease!! Stand Selection/ Pine Plantation???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt wherever the acorns are early season, hunt where you can see a long distance during the rut, and hunt food plots late season. Stay out of the area as much as possible and keep other lease members from joy riding "just want to look around" as best you can. Never hunt the wrong wind.

Comment

It ain't complicated. Dump some corn out and put cameras over the corn. Hunt the pile with the biggest buck on it. You're welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        Why not hunt both? I do. And, I have a lot of success. Bucks will skirt those pine plantations waiting for the does to exit before and during the rut. Feed it properly to keep the does in it.
        IMO, this is the ticket. Deer like edges. Hunt the areas where plantation meets hardwoods if you can. Plantations will be bedding if they are the right age and bucks will travel the area on the downwind side during the prerut, rut, and postrut. Other than that, plant some wheat on the right of way. Good luck !

I hunt a place in Trinity Co. and it's all pine except for the creek bottoms. I love food plots so I found a spot with a 3/4 ac opening with pines and yaupon on my N, hardwoods on my E and S. Perfect for most wind directions and I see lots of nice bucks as well as does. Most eat in the food plot after they clean up the corn. It's not unusual to have deer from daylight until 11:00 am and again from 2/3:00 pm until dark.
        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 02-26-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

What ever you pick have a great exit plan you want to get in and out without blowing all your deer out. I plant about 10 acre's in 4 different plots morning times they a hard to get into without messing them up. It's all about stand location on hunting food plots

Comment

I have a 300 acre lease that is all pine tree farm and I can say the deer love to bed in there. We kill more deer in the pines that in the oaks along the creeks.

Comment

Originally posted by SnJGuin View Post
              I have a 300 acre lease that is all pine tree farm and I can say the deer love to bed in there. We kill more deer in the pines that in the oaks along the creeks.
              That's what I'm thinking. My brother is on a deer lease in Trinity county and he has one of the best stands on the place and it's a pipeline running through 8-10 year old pines if I had to guess. The same growth of pines is what I would be looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                Two of the spots in the plantations have pretty big plots
                I like that bottom one bc of the surrounding possibilities. Those long windrows south of the plot look interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                  I like that bottom one bc of the surrounding possibilities. Those long windrows south of the plot look interesting.
                  The bottom one is stand site 6. Got to look at in person yesterday. It looks good. We have been non stop rain until yesterday there was a dry bed in there that had to be from the night before and a good size buck track leaving it going down that road.

Comment

Man I think you may have found you a good spot. Has all the recipes to make a productive spot

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                      Man I think you may have found you a good spot. Has all the recipes to make a productive spot
                      Thanks man. I think its going to be good. Might take me a year or two to figure it out but the potential is there!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                        That's what I'm thinking. My brother is on a deer lease in Trinity county and he has one of the best stands on the place and it's a pipeline running through 8-10 year old pines if I had to guess. The same growth of pines is what I would be looking at.
                        My primary stand set is on an old dozer path on the east side of an SMZ. Immediately the west of the SMZ is 16 year old pines, as is the area to the east of the dozer path, SMZ. Guess where all the deer come from? Yep. The pines. Beds everywhere in there.

Comment

I love it when folks pass on hunting pines and those old gnarly clear cuts

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                            I love it when folks pass on hunting pines and those old gnarly clear cuts
                            Yep, I have killed way more deer hunting pine thickets vs creek bottoms. The bottoms are more tempting and are good when acorns are falling. After the acorns are gone, so are the deer.

Comment

Justin, what kind of oaks are in the bottoms? Mostly Red or White?

Comment

Working...
                              X