No announcement yet.

Upgrading my truck gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One take away would be loaded mags, and not just a hand full of bullets.

The man who stopped the shooter had one partial mag at the beginning of the fight. If he had 2 fully loaded mags I bet the gunman would have had a lot less odds of making it out of the parking lot. I'm sure he was firing much slower than he could have accurately and worried about running out of ammunition the whole time.

You could always go with an ar10 type rfile instead of the m1a.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
      I've been considered a "truck gun" for some time now and I always come back to the problem of securing/hiding it somewhere in the truck. If I was to run my AR pistol 300BLK as my truck gun, how would I go about locking something that size up and keeping it out of sight?
      This has been my concern also. In older model trucks it was easy to put the rifle behind the seat but not anymore.

I just don't have a good location in my truck to carry one without the probability of someone seeing it and breaking in.

Comment

As far as the church shooting, I wonder if the citizen was shooting fmj. I would think a soft point or varmint round would have had different results.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
          The problem with having a suppressor on the M1A is that if someone breaks in to your truck and steals the gun, they will illegally be in possession of the suppressor. You are making them a criminal!
          Say what lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            As far as the church shooting, I wonder if the citizen was shooting fmj. I would think a soft point or varmint round would have had different results.
            Agreed. While we may never know exactly what round was being used, a quality bullet MIGHT have made all the difference in the world if he had been shooting FMJ and there is a good probability he was. At the end of the day he got the job done and stopped a bad guy, so that's good.

Also, it is my understanding that the perpetrator was wearing some type of body armor. Pelvic/groin shots are highly effective in this type of situation and should be taught & practiced more than I have seen. Between breaking the pelvis and severing the femoral artery, this shot can eliminate a threat very, very quickly. COM should be your primary aiming point, but if armor is present or COM shot does not present itself, this is a great plan B.

As for the OP's question, what is your primary defensive load in your current AR truck gun? A quality bullet should be more than sufficient in the .223/5.56 for your application.
            Last edited by S&T; 11-16-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I conceal pretty much all the time. I’ve thought about buying a “truck gun” and honestly the only thing holding me back is the thought of having it in my truck 24/7. Where would I put it, and how would I keep it from getting stolen if someone got curious?

Comment

Have you considered an AR10 platform? I run a suppressed 308 AR and have zero issues. You can always add an adjustable gas block if you feel it's running over-gased. For a more compact package you could run it with a 14.5" pinned barrel and the stock collapsed when stored. Unless you just want an excuse to buy an M1A, then I fully support your decision!

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                  The problem with having a suppressor on the M1A is that if someone breaks in to your truck and steals the gun, they will illegally be in possession of the suppressor. You are making them a criminal!
                  Hopefully you just worded that poorly

Comment

[ATTACH]883331[/ATTACH]

Comment

I would stay with the AR platform, the M1A is heavy

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
                        I would stay with the AR platform, the M1A is heavy
                        Cause you don't want your truck to get tired:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          [ATTACH]883331[/ATTACH]
                          I like your style.

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Tinnitus is the least of my concerns if I have to use it. Man, I used to shoot all the time without ear protection. Dumb, but did it for years. Don't recommend it now and certainly understand the benefit of going with the can. However, for the intended purpose (other than if you will be blasting pigs or yotes frequently), stock is good. I know you have already purchased, but for others, HK-91 with collapsable stock is hard to beat.
                          Attached Files

Comment

does anyone have any good recommendations on how to conceal a long gun in a truck? I am also concerned about the need for a long gun but I use my truck as a kid carrier/client hauler way to often to have a long gun exposed on the back window or strapped to the roof. anybody have ideas?

Comment

AR-10 for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                                This has been my concern also. In older model trucks it was easy to put the rifle behind the seat but not anymore.

I just don't have a good location in my truck to carry one without the probability of someone seeing it and breaking in.
                                Originally posted by acopperdawg View Post
                                does anyone have any good recommendations on how to conceal a long gun in a truck? I am also concerned about the need for a long gun but I use my truck as a kid carrier/client hauler way to often to have a long gun exposed on the back window or strapped to the roof. anybody have ideas?
                                Found this and it looks pretty legit to me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                                I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

https://arma15.com/products

Comment

Working...
                                X