No announcement yet.

Darrells inspired mini air boat build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found some extra 1/4" I had but it wasn't quit long enough. But I found a way to make it work. I glued the crap out of it and screwed it down.

Then I caulked every joint on this boat! So I've got several lines of defense on this boat against water. I'll have fiberglass, waterproof wood glue, caulk, primer and Paint. I'll be very surprised if water leaks in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First fiberglass session done

Comment

Did a second full coat last night and just tested it out! She floats good!

I had a bucket that weighed about 70lbs full of window weights. To represent the weight of the motor. I ended up scooting it back about a foot from where it was and standing about a foot in front of it and paddled around for a minute. No leaks and I think it might've had a 2" draft. It also glided pretty well with one paddle stroke. Even with the bucket full I could easily drag it on land and load it in the back of my truck.

If anything this hull will most likely be a proof of concept. I'm debating on making a mold and making a few changes to be able to replicate with full fiberglass.

Comment

Pretty dang cool !!!!

Comment

Good job

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty cool. Any more updates?

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
                Pretty cool. Any more updates?

Nothing new at the moment. We have some rain coming this week and I'll be out of town next week so I've been working on house chores.

With all that said, I've been doing calculations of using a strictly fiberglass hull with 12" sides. Weight wise I might be looking at about 30lbs.

I need to hurry up and finish. I've got 2 buddy's that want to build one of it works well. We would just make a fiberglass mold out of wood and then build them. Our biggest unknown is how these hulls with this little power will handle sand on the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
                  Nothing new at the moment. We have some rain coming this week and I'll be out of town next week so I've been working on house chores.

With all that said, I've been doing calculations of using a strictly fiberglass hull with 12" sides. Weight wise I might be looking at about 30lbs.

I need to hurry up and finish. I've got 2 buddy's that want to build one of it works well. We would just make a fiberglass mold out of wood and then build them. Our biggest unknown is how these hulls with this little power will handle sand on the coast.

What are you planning on doing with them at the coast? I can see these being pretty fun for small lakes, rivers, and creeks but things could go south pretty quick at the coast.

Don't take that as being negative...I think these small airboats are pretty awesome but she-who-makes-the-rules has already banned me from making one!

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
                    What are you planning on doing with them at the coast? I can see these being pretty fun for small lakes, rivers, and creeks but things could go south pretty quick at the coast.

Don't take that as being negative...I think these small airboats are pretty awesome but she-who-makes-the-rules has already banned me from making one!

Just going in the back lakes. Wouldn't want to get too far out especially on a choppy day.

Just want to chase some ducks and tailing redfish

Comment

So I finally got my prop in, bought my cables and bike handles off Amazon today. Pretty much the only thing I lack at this point is the mud slide which will be here next week. Since my motor is 400CC I bought a fuel pump for an arctic cat so I can move my fuel to under my seat.

The goal is to get this this thing dryfitted this week. Hopefully the rain will wait a bit so I can play with it in the street.

Comment

Did some welding and pipe bending. I bought a pipe bender for 3/4 conduit from harbor freight. I definitely wouldn't recommend it. It's very hard to replicate bends and bend them according to measurements. There's no markings on the bender making it difficult.

Needless to say I got the motor mount made. Since I couldn't replicate the same bend twice everything had to be eyeballed.

Next step is actually to mount the motor to the mount. I'm having to install the prop, put fishing line with weights on it to make sure the motor is parallel to the back of the boat. Then I'll can mark holes to bolt motor down.

Comment

Got the motor mounted tonight. I wanted to fire it up but the motor is pretty hard to pull start and I can't find my diagrams to hook up the electric start. Looked online and the Duramax website is under construction so I have emailed them to try and get the diagrams.

This motor I have upgraded some parts to get me a little more power. I rejected the carb, changed the timing, put on a better air filter, removed muffler, and changed valve springs. On the valves of the valve springs there is a cap on the valve rod to keep the rocker arms from damaging the top of the valve rod. My intake rod was missing a cap. Not a huge deal for now but I'm emailing Duromax about getting a new one. That's one of those rather safe than sorry things.

Lately I've had this on my car creeper to move it around. It doesn't help too much so I'm trying to figure out a way to put some clips on the back of the boat where some wheels can clip on for movement and loading, the come off for water use.

Comment

Awesome work!

Comment

Fire it up and drive it around!!!!!

Comment

this is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X