No announcement yet.

Biltong????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddy's wife is from south Africa, her family makes it... she keeps telling me she will bring me some... I really want to try it

Comment

Both of my buddies who go to SA a lot are always talking about how good it is.

Comment

Wow. Never heard of this. Would like to try it.

Comment

Waited my 8 days. I washed one clean and left one with all the seasoning. I figure it'll dry and flake off anyways. Now a 1-2 month wait
          Attached Files

Comment

Biltong is the African word for jerkey. It is usually cut thicker than our jerkey and simply air dried , sometimes it is seasoned but mostly plain. It is a way of preserving the meat so that there is protein available for a longer period of time

Comment

It's going good so far. No mold or anything. Both are getting dense but still have lots of liquid weight. Probably lost 10-15% and it's been a week it is supposed to take a month or better like this.

Comment

Well I pulled it. Seemed firm. Not bad. To me this one is basically thick jerky. But with a different texture. Flavor it like jerky it would be really good
                Attached Files

Comment

Had some at Peli Peli (South African food) in Houston. Thought it was OK, but the other food I had there was excellent! I agree that flavoring it like traditional jerky would be an improvement.

Comment

Peli peli is a good place to eat.

Yea just not a fan of the traditional seasonings. Gonna change that up for the next one

Comment

Working...
                    X