CHL or not ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHL or not ?????

I use to have my chl for years (15 years ago I think).
    Every time I took the class, I would get scared of what could happen if I pulled the trigger. Even if I was right about everything that happened. No matter what, I feel like I would have to go to court and defend myself. Or if I accidentally missed and hit someone else. I know it's impossible to try and not get in the situation. I try my best to not have it happen. I guess I'm scared either way...
    Why do you have one or not have one? Maybe some comments will clear some thoughts.

Because it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Comment

you think the criminal is going to care about court, innocent bystanders, or law? Be proactive in protecting yourself and your family. Get a chl, keep a chl, carry everyday, be proficient with your weapon of choice, and be vigilant. everything else will fall into place. 99% of concealed carriers will never draw their weapon, but I dont want to be caught off guard if my name is called to be in that 1%. My family's life, my life, my freedoms are why I choose to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
        you think the criminal is going to care about court, innocent bystanders, or law? Be proactive in protecting yourself and your family. Get a chl, keep a chl, carry everyday, be proficient with your weapon of choice, and be vigilant. everything else will fall into place. 99% of concealed carriers will never draw their weapon, but I dont want to be caught off guard if my name is called to be in that 1%. My family's life, my life, my freedoms are why I choose to carry.
        X2

Comment

I'd rather go to court than be dead...

Comment

These thought are good to have if you are planning on carrying. They help keep you from making stupid decisions in regard to how you use your firearm. It is also what makes you better then those we carry to protect ourselves from. Make sound decision to help reduce the chances of ever having to worry about it. Yes you will end up in court even if it is clear self defense. Invest a small amount of money for Texas Law Shield and USCCA. Even in self defense court costs can be over 10K. The combonation of Texas Law Shield and USCCA will help cover costs and provide sound legal representation in the event you ever have to use your firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
              This and Texas Law Shield

Comment

I don't think anyone wants to pull the trigger (although I did read the thread about who has pulled their concealed weapon), but it is about being prepared to defend yourself and family. You should consider the what if's, it's about good judgement and the first thing taught in class - awareness. Be aware and try not to put yourself in the situation where you would need it, but if you find yourself there, be prepared and able to use your firearm to protect yourself.

Comment

I have mine and carry much of the time. Honestly your thoughts are valid and good to have. There are plenty of people carrying who are itching to draw even if it isn’t needed...I read their posts way to often. People talk about shooting someone if they caught them steeling a bike or lawnmower. In my opinion shooting someone in self defense should be a last resort to save my life or someone else’s but having said that I have decided it Is something I am willing to do. If you aren’t willing to do it then carrying isn’t for you, and honestly I don’t think everyone is cut out to carry. Your mindset is better served to carry than someone who is going to whip out their gun because someone flipped them off and cut them off on the interstate!
                  Last edited by Cantcatch5; 04-21-2018, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                    This and Texas Law Shield
                    X2

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
                      I use to have my chl for years (15 years ago I think).
                      Every time I took the class, I would get scared of what could happen if I pulled the trigger. Even if I was right about everything that happened. No matter what, I feel like I would have to go to court and defend myself. Or if I accidentally missed and hit someone else. I know it's impossible to try and not get in the situation. I try my best to not have it happen. I guess I'm scared either way...
                      Why do you have one or not have one? Maybe some comments will clear some thoughts.
                      Only from my experience in my county and at my city police department, the idea that if you pull the trigger (or some say just pull your gun) you are automatically heading to a trial is nonsense.

I have been to several fatal shootings where the shooter was never arrested. Some were even questionable in my opinion but an arrest was only made if it appeared to be a clear case if murder and there wasn’t a good likelihood of self defense. I have been to plenty of other non-fatal incidents where arrests were never made. As far as I know (and being a detective on some of those cases) many of the cases were presented to the DA as likely self defense and the shooter never even hired a lawyer. They were simply no billed in front of the grand jury and in some cases the DA never even sent it there and just refused the case.

By some opinions that I have read, even if you point your gun at someone (which by the Penal Code could be a felony), be prepared to spend $20,000 defending yourself in front of the grand jury or a criminal jury. From my experience in my county, that is utter nonsense.

Texas laws are fairly wide-open on the use of self-defense. That is significant sometimes when comparing cases on advertisements that happened out of the state where the laws are completely different. There are horror stories that I and probably everyone else have seen. Someone will have a story where a man shot a crazed drug head breaking into his house at 3AM and had to defend himself for murder. I have been to those cases and in my experience they did not happen as descibed. If it happened then there is likely more to the story.

In my opinion it is 100% certain that if you ever have to use deadly force, you had better be mentally be prepared that you might have to defend yourself in court. It will be a possibility. So much depends on the circumstances and the location that you were in. It might be the prudent thing to do to have yourself some legal defense on standby such as the insurance programs being discussed in this thread or having an attorney on retainer.

The fear that if you are in a situation that you must defend yourself or your family and then if you do so you are automatically going to have to declare bankruptcy and go through an extensive legal defense is simply not true, in my opinion. Being prepared is smart but the likelihood of it happening in real life is more rare than is implied on the internet.... again, in my opinion.

I would not let my self defense or that of my family be dictated by something that is not likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        Only from my experience in my county and at my city police department, the idea that if you pull the trigger (or some say just pull your gun) you are automatically heading to a trial is nonsense.

I have been to several fatal shootings where the shooter was never arrested. Some were even questionable in my opinion but an arrest was only made if it appeared to be a clear case if murder and there wasn’t a good likelihood of self defense. I have been to plenty of other non-fatal incidents where arrests were never made. As far as I know (and being a detective on some of those cases) many of the cases were presented to the DA as likely self defense and the shooter never even hired a lawyer. They were simply no billed in front of the grand jury and in some cases the DA never even sent it there and just refused the case.

By some opinions that I have read, even if you point your gun at someone (which by the Penal Code could be a felony), be prepared to spend $20,000 defending yourself in front of the grand jury or a criminal jury. From my experience in my county, that is utter nonsense.

Texas laws are fairly wide-open on the use of self-defense. That is significant sometimes when comparing cases on advertisements that happened out of the state where the laws are completely different. There are horror stories that I and probably everyone else have seen. Someone will have a story where a man shot a crazed drug head breaking into his house at 3AM and had to defend himself for murder. I have been to those cases and in my experience they did not happen as descibed. If it happened then there is likely more to the story.

In my opinion it is 100% certain that if you ever have to use deadly force, you had better be mentally be prepared that you might have to defend yourself in court. It will be a possibility. So much depends on the circumstances and the location that you were in. It might be the prudent thing to do to have yourself some legal defense on standby such as the insurance programs being discussed in this thread or having an attorney on retainer.

The fear that if you are in a situation that you must defend yourself or your family and then if you do so you are automatically going to have to declare bankruptcy and go through an extensive legal defense is simply not true, in my opinion. Being prepared is smart but the likelihood of it happening in real life is more rare than is implied on the internet.... again, in my opinion.

I would not let my self defense or that of my family be dictated by something that is not likely to happen.

Spot on as usual.

As a responsible person carrying a gun you SHOULD never want to have to shoot someone, but be prepared in case you ever do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I don't have a CHL. I have a gun pretty much everywhere I go. Why don't I take the class? Because you're more likely to be shot taking that class than you are on the street. People that have a CHL aren't trained killers. A good majority of them have probably only shot a gun a hand full of times so no thanks.

Comment

CHL or not ?????

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            I don't have a CHL. I have a gun pretty much everywhere I go. Why don't I take the class? Because you're more likely to be shot taking that class than you are on the street. People that have a CHL aren't trained killers. A good majority of them have probably only shot a gun a hand full of times so no thanks.

While I do agree there is a portion of the LTC holders that are not experienced gun owners or shooters, I’m almost willing to bet that they don’t carry very often if ever either.

I can’t speak for all LTC instructors, but when my wife my daughter and I also took ours together the instructor only put one person on the range at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                              And the Darwin Award goes to......

Comment

Working...
                              X