No announcement yet.

Russian Slug destroys deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome I assume that's a 12 gauge? How do you like that gun? I would love to find a good one in 20 gauge

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
      Attached the slug to the wad for flight stability.
      Very interesting. I don't need another hobby but this looks fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
        Awesome I assume that's a 12 gauge? How do you like that gun? I would love to find a good one in 20 gauge

This is one of 6 of my slug guns. This HR is one of the most accurate sluggers ever made. I’ll reach out to 200 yards no problem. Own three: 2 12 ga and a 20.

And this is a 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Blood trail if you only wanted to buy one would it be a 12 or 20?

Comment

Way more impressive than someone using overkill like a 338 lapua. Man that’s awesome!

Comment

Probably about the 'best' slug gun (that is still affordable) is the Savage 220 bolt action. Pretty much just a Savage bolt action rifle with a 20 gauge barrel and accutrigger. All of the guys I know who have them (me included) love them and are amazed with the accuracy. Same basic gun is made in 12 gauge. I don't know anybody who chose the 12 over the 20 for the Savage bolt action.

Those H&R single shot slug guns were popular up here for quite a while too. I've heard mixed reviews on those - seems like half the guys love them & the other half hated them. Crappy trigger and failure of the gun to like any of the slugs tried were the normal complaints as I recall. But they are pretty cheap & if you get a good one, you're set. Can be a bit heavy, with the bull barrel. I coveted one of these for years, but didn't buy.

For 20 vrs 12 gauge, it comes down to what you want. If you want to shoot full bore (old style) slugs, well obviously the 12 gauge is going to be better all around.

The 20 gauge was only for kids & women for the longest time. It is what most kids start with up here - I did. But with modern sabot slugs, the 20 gauge slug gun is now into muzzleloader territory performance wise.

The 12 gauge sabot rounds offer heavier bullets (way heavier than what you need to kill a deer) at about the same velocity as the 20 gauge sabots. If you like numbers, 20 gauge sabot will give about 1900 fps with a 250-260 grain slug while the 12 gauge will be about the same velocity but a 350-400 grain slug.

The only downside I've seen to the 20 gauge can be ammo selection. It sure seems like the round you find this year (that your gun likes) may be easy to find and next year you can't fine it anywhere. When you find the right round, stock up.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                Probably about the 'best' slug gun (that is still affordable) is the Savage 220 bolt action. Pretty much just a Savage bolt action rifle with a 20 gauge barrel and accutrigger. All of the guys I know who have them (me included) love them and are amazed with the accuracy. Same basic gun is made in 12 gauge. I don't know anybody who chose the 12 over the 20 for the Savage bolt action.

Those H&R single shot slug guns were popular up here for quite a while too. I've heard mixed reviews on those - seems like half the guys love them & the other half hated them. Crappy trigger and failure of the gun to like any of the slugs tried were the normal complaints as I recall. But they are pretty cheap & if you get a good one, you're set. Can be a bit heavy, with the bull barrel. I coveted one of these for years, but didn't buy.

For 20 vrs 12 gauge, it comes down to what you want. If you want to shoot full bore (old style) slugs, well obviously the 12 gauge is going to be better all around.

The 20 gauge was only for kids & women for the longest time. It is what most kids start with up here - I did. But with modern sabot slugs, the 20 gauge slug gun is now into muzzleloader territory performance wise.

The 12 gauge sabot rounds offer heavier bullets (way heavier than what you need to kill a deer) at about the same velocity as the 20 gauge sabots. If you like numbers, 20 gauge sabot will give about 1900 fps with a 250-260 grain slug while the 12 gauge will be about the same velocity but a 350-400 grain slug.

The only downside I've seen to the 20 gauge can be ammo selection. It sure seems like the round you find this year (that your gun likes) may be easy to find and next year you can't fine it anywhere. When you find the right round, stock up.

I have a 220. Still got it. Shot like crap so I had a custom Tarhunt barrel installed after Randy Fritz from Tarhunt reached out to me about helping get the word out for his 220 barrels. Free custom barrel especially from a Tarhunt Slug Guns?! Twist my arm.

He decided to add the 220 custom barrels to his produce line due to the sloppiness in barrel tolerances from the factory. His barrels are built to SAAMI spec +\- 2 thou.

Now, it shoots good. But it’s not *** accurate as my H&R’s. I’ll shoot 1 MOA with my custom 220. My HR’s shoot subMOA. As for Triggers on the HR’s, mine breaks around 2.5-3 lbs.

The prices have tripled on them. Great guns. Still, the 220 is not as accurate and I shoot thousands of slugs a year. That’s what I do.

As for ammo, that’s exactly why I cast and reload my slugs. I never have to worry about shortages and I can tailor each load. The old my son shot recoiled like a heavy dove load.

Last edited by Blood Trail; 11-27-2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Blood trail if you only wanted to buy one would it be a 12 or 20?

12 for ammo selection.

Comment

They were really prevalent here in Indiana. Still find them at sometimes a reasonable price. Have any slugs that stabilize well in an imp.cylinder bore? It has been ages since I have used my shotgun, at least it seems like it. Killed many deer with good old Winchester 2 3/4” fosters. I want to get some Breneke Black Magic 3” slugs.
                    Thanks for sharing your story and video, it takes me back a little.

Comment

Yes, with the cost of sabot slugs, you'd about have to load your own if you are going to shoot very many per year.

And this also explains the hate part in the love/hate relationship most of those who are mandated to hunt with slug guns have with them - not too hard to find a gun they love, but we all hate the cost of the good ammo for them. My Savage would shoot MOA right out of the box, but $3 a round? Come on.

I wouldn't buy a centerfire rifle if a box of 20 rounds cost $60. Well maybe a 50 cal or 338 Lapua.

Hopefully my state will do like almost every state around me and make at least straight walled cartridges legal so I can use an actual centerfire cartridge and rifle for deer hunting.

It is interesting to me that someone in Texas has embraced slugs guns while so many of us that have used them our whole lives are so ready to move on to actual rifles!

Either you have found a hobby you just really enjoy or a way to make money at it.

Whichever, just keep shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                        Yes, with the cost of sabot slugs, you'd about have to load your own if you are going to shoot very many per year.

And this also explains the hate part in the love/hate relationship most of those who are mandated to hunt with slug guns have with them - not too hard to find a gun they love, but we all hate the cost of the good ammo for them. My Savage would shoot MOA right out of the box, but $3 a round? Come on.

I wouldn't buy a centerfire rifle if a box of 20 rounds cost $60. Well maybe a 50 cal or 338 Lapua.

Hopefully my state will do like almost every state around me and make at least straight walled cartridges legal so I can use an actual centerfire cartridge and rifle for deer hunting.

It is interesting to me that someone in Texas has embraced slugs guns while so many of us that have used them our whole lives are so ready to move on to actual rifles!

Either you have found a hobby you just really enjoy or a way to make money at it.

Whichever, just keep shooting.

Thanks brother. Actually, I’m from the south (NC) where slug guns are common. Seems Texas is the only state barring western states, who knows the true usefulness of a slug. All the Midwest states are big on slug guns.

To me, there’s something old school about hunting with buckshot and slugs. I’m having a blast playing around with it, too.

Pretty awesome when people as far away as Australia send you their slugs for you to test.

Comment

Comment

Thanks kx500 and blood trail. Also Leon one of these days I'm going to hit you up about a good buckshot load since hevi shot discontinued the hog wild shock.

Comment

Thanks kx500 and blood trail. Also Leon one of these days I'm going to hit you up about a good buckshot load since hevi shot discontinued the hog wild shock.

I’ll be waiting. Got everything you need.

Comment

Smaller pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	24600414

Comment

Working...
                                X