Bow only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow only?

Just curious how many of you guys hunt with a trad bow all season. Do you strictly bow hunt? Or switch to a rifle when rifle season opens?

TradBow only here

Comment

When hunting deer all I use is a recurve or longbow. I don't even own a deer rifle anymore. (which may explain the lack of venison in my freezer some years) I have killed a few pigs with a shotgun but I hunt them with a bow 90% of the time.
      Last edited by jerp; 09-06-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Bowhunting 24/7/365. The only time I would use anything other than my trad bows is if an injury forced me to use something else.

Bisch

Comment

If I am bowhunting, it is with a trad bow only. I have ditched the compound and will only revisit that if an injury or age required it.

I bowhunt during rifle season. My first deer with a trad bow last year came on gun season opening morning after 11 sits of striking out during archery season.

I am not allergic to shooting a rifle or shotgun. My preference is to bowhunt only, but if the freezer is empty at the end of a season, then I would break out the boom stick.

I am finding fewer reasons to pick up a gun though.

Comment

OK, I'm going to be odd man out. I love my trad bow and have carried it from Alaska to Africa and if I had to choose one hunting method, it would be my longbow. But, I enjoy the other forms of hunting to much to give them up. So, this year will find me hunting some with my inline muzzleloader, my traditional sidelock muzzleloader, my revolver, my autoloading pistol, my lever action rifle, my single shot Sharps, my autoloading rifle, and my bolt action rifle. About the only thing I won't hunt with is a compound bow and a crossbow, and I have taken deer and pigs with both of them.

Comment

I hunt 90% of the season with a recurve, but Ive been known to pull out my compound or crossbow just for kicks and giggles....nothing wrong with using other weapons for hunting, its a free world, if you want to use a rifle use a rifle, if you want to use a crossbow use a crossbow, life is too **** short to worry about what other people think of your means of hunting

Comment

Trad bow only for me also.

Comment

Just getting started so may use a rifle this year. Started hunting four years ago and only one pig so far. Did shoot a jack rabbit yesterday with my longbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I killed 4 deer last year, 3 with a bow (compound) and 1 with a rifle. After shooting the last one with a rifle I wished that I had just stuck it out and kept hunting with my bow. This year I'm going to hunt strictly with my stickbow during bow season, and then see how much room is in the freezer when rifle season opens.

Comment

Trad only last season. It was challenging to say the least. I missed twice on good bucks. Both would have been chip shots with my compound at 22 yards. Passed on several others at 25+. Finally killed an axis spike with the longbow and a big 6 pt WT with the recurve. Learned a lot last season. My sets are much better now and a year of practice will help. I have sons with compounds to provide all the meat we need. My wife thinks I switched to trad just as an excuse to spend more time hunting.

Comment

This year will be all trad bow for me. i sold my compound last year and am on a bow only property. I have not killed anything with my trad bow yet but am really looking forward to the season.

Comment

I'm sticking to my longbow this year for archery, leaving the compound at home but I love the smell of black powder and I'm also addicted to my 30-378 so both of those weapons will be in play. We try to only eat what we kill,( red meat ) so it would be a slim year if I didn't use all the tools at my disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
                            I'm sticking to my longbow this year for archery, leaving the compound at home but I love the smell of black powder and I'm also addicted to my 30-378 so both of those weapons will be in play. We try to only eat what we kill,( red meat ) so it would be a slim year if I didn't use all the tools at my disposal.
                            I was pretty much the same way on filling the freezer, but my 20 year old son just bought his own place and my wife doesn't eat much deer meat. So if I can get one or 2 that's all I'll need, especially with all the hogs we trap. I do have a new lever gun I'd kinda like to shoot something with too though!!

Comment

Either my Sarrels or my Acadian Woods bows. Unless the hogs go nocturnal. Since i have no lights on my feeders, I use night vision scopes mounted on my ar15.

Comment

Working...
                              X