Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any construction guys able to help with advice on a framing question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a new garage door installed last week. The installer hit a snag and had to re-install the bracket holding the torsion springs. Instead of loosening the springs and re-installing the bracket, he decided to "walk" the tensioned bracket down the header. Basically he screwed a bunch of lag screws in the header and removed them. I am thinking the header may be structurally compromised.
    Here's pics of what I have. There are about 10 screw holes in that header. I put tooth pics in them to make it easier to see the holes.
    Do I have reasonable cause for concern?

You don't have to worry about that sucker falling out! I wouldn't worry about it

Comment

Your more than likely fine. If your worried about it put a mending strap through it.

Last edited by cattlelackranch; 08-06-2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I agree with both !!!

Comment

Nothing to worry about. Putty them up and paint it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trouble View Post
            I had a new garage door installed last week. The installer hit a snag and had to re-install the bracket holding the torsion springs. Instead of loosening the springs and re-installing the bracket, he decided to "walk" the tensioned bracket down the header. Basically he screwed a bunch of lag screws in the header and removed them. I am thinking the header may be structurally compromised.
            Here's pics of what I have. There are about 10 screw holes in that header. I put tooth pics in them to make it easier to see the holes.
            Do I have reasonable cause for concern?

Well that is about the dumbest thing iv'e seen an installer do. Residential door springs have like 7 rounds on them. No big deal to unwind. The wood will be fine. Nice selection of holes though...

Comment

Think you have a reasonable cause for having a professional come in and evaluate it and make repairs then have the company that employs that lazy-arse garage door guy to foot the bill. Probably never happen, but you ave reasonable cause.

Comment

Thanks guys. The company is known for being very reputable and been in business a long time. I think this is just a bad installer who may be looking for new work soon. The manager was very responsive and is coming out personally to see this. I have faith the company will want to do the right thing. I just want to make sure I have an idea of what the right thing is. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Header will be fine. Most likely is an over engineered LVL beam. You can always fill the holes with lag bolts of the same size, nothing to worry about either way. [emoji6]

Comment

Working...
                  X