Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOUNTING UP: Whitetail Reproduction Set-(Live)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are y'all ready for another Taxidermy episode?

I met up with Brandon (whitie here on TBH) at the Greatwolf Lodge in Grapevine for my wife and I's anniversary to pick up a set of horns to do a repro on. Man, the looks I got when I took them back to my hotel room!

Brandon, if you'd like-please feel free to give everyone a background on this deer.

Gonna start working on the molding process this evening but thought y'all like to know what's in store for the next couple of days. Stay tuned!
    Attached Files

In!!! Always waiting for threads like these!!!

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

nice rack! Following along!

Comment

exceptional buck!

Comment

Sorry for the delay but wanted to keep y'all posted on the progress so far. Finally have some time to get back onto the reproduction inbetween projects.

First, the mold release is applied to keep the rubber from sticking (as well as destroying once pulled away from) to the antlers.
            The next step is to apply a skim coat of the siliconized rubber to the antlers. This avoids any unwanted air pockets between the rubber and the antlers. Once cured, a second layer (thicker) is applied. A colorized silicone allows me to judge proper coverage as well as thickness of the second layer. I'm trying to build up the thickness where it will not tear once removed yet not to heavy where it could collapse within the mother mold, creating a warped pour.
            Once the rubber is applied, the mother mold will be keyed and added.
            Stay tuned!
            Attached Files

Comment

There you are! Was wondering what had happened

Comment

This is going to be pretty cool to watch !

Comment

Just curious, what does a set of your repos cost? I had a set made this year and they turned out great, always looking for someone closer though. Following

Comment

Sorry I missed the start of this thread...First off that is not me in the picture!!!

This buck was taken in Junction...we protein feed pretty heavy but even this buck was a surprise to us. I have roughly 20 game camera's out on the ranch and no pictures of him...ever. He is obviously the biggest buck ever taken from the ranch at a gross of 161. The hunter is a relative that lives out of the country and only gets to visit every couple of years..it was one of his first hunts while here this past season. Crazy how it works out.

Really looking forward to this process as the whole thing intrigues me. Thanks Ryan!

Brandon

Comment

Looking good, following.

Comment

Subscribed for later

Comment

Made a few more strides over the past couple of weeks. I was able to finish up the last covering of the rubber mold...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372828565.984912.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	24216153

Then took a permanent marker and divided the antler to give me a guide for the dam. This allowed me to evaluate where I could possibly need cross section dams. Having those makes the removal of the mother mold easier due to the antler shape.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372828753.510811.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	24216155

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372828793.338190.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	24216156

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372828659.216743.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	24216154

Now comes the time to cut and fit the poster board dams...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372828857.796246.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	24216157

Finally after the dams have been set and edges rounded/squared, it's time to start working on the mother mold (made of Fiberglas). Working with about 6-7 tablespoons worth of Fiberglas at a time, the layering process begins.
                          As of tonight, this is the latest pic of the replica process (about 1/4 of it underway).

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372829096.726273.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24216158

Comment

These threads are way cool. Tuned in

Comment

I now know I know nothing about taxidermy. I honestly thought you were posting about doing a taxi job on a bucks genitalia. I feel dumb for thinking that and even dumber for clicking on the thread while thinking that.

Comment

Working...
                              X