Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR Deer Hunting w/Walker Beagles? Whatcha' think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
    Lol, you got your old condescending panties in a wad when I went after your what you feel is a time honored tradition because you're emotionally attached to those memories. Now you're making an excuse for your own laziness and even trying to belittle me as if that puts you higher on the pedestal.

If you haven't noticed, this is a public forum with the opportunity for many eyes to see and would be an excellent opportunity for you to educate the viewers on the ins/outs of using dogs as a method of hunting. Don't get so offended at an opposing opinion on this controversial method, especially when the opinion is warranted (whether it be for or against)
    You know sonny boy, you are sure good at using big words and putting them together in a real blather. You see, you don't get it. I don't care one bit what you think. You began your post by knocking the sport and you gave totally unfounded opinions about the hunting with dogs being unfair and unsuccessful. Your ignorance is evident. You even prefaced your ridiculous statement by placing hunting in quotation marks as if to convey your belief that hunting deer with dogs is not hunting... further demonstrating your ignorance. After your baseless opinions of how unsuccessful you had determined this type of hunting would be, then you offered up the assumption that to hunt this way would only be OK if it were in a time of great need and famine... IF it is so unsuccessful, why would it be a good way to hunt in a time of famine... by your own opinion that would seem to be a total waste of valuable time and energy and resources...

Your initial post has no questions or requests for information in it. Your initial post was meant to belittle, and create a negative thought of the OP's request. You only asked questions after your ignorance was called out. Your sincerity is about as false as can be. I was not addressing YOU in my posts. I was countering your totally false and negative statements in your ORIGINAL post. My posts were directed to the OP. I was not and am still not interested in addressing any of your questions, because you clearly have no intention of "learning" anything. Again, my posts other than this one were directed to the OP. Your posts are not worthy of attention and I will not address them or you further.

Maybe some day you will use all your "smarts" and apparent education to gain wisdom but you sure have some maturing to do boy.

Comment

Have fun, I love hearing a good chase we had 35000 we ran dogs on when I was a kid. My lease in Louisiana backs up to a fox pen sometimes I can hear them run while I am deer hunting. Good luck.

Comment

Get ya some! Looking forward to your report!

Comment

I grew up in La chasing deer with dogs. Nothing wrong with it at all. There were places back then that the only way to get a deer to move was with a dog. I always thought it was funny how the deer hunters in Texas trash talked people that hunted with dogs. But, would sit in front of a feeder and shoot deer.

There was a lot of camaraderie among dog hunters. Especially about who had the best jump dog and pack. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Most that do have never been exposed to it.

Base your opinion on being there and watching the preperation. Not what you hear people say that have not even been around it.

Try to setup in an area where you think the deer will cross. Especially a slough or creek where they will try to lose the dogs in water. And remember.... the deer will be a lot further ahead of the dogs than you think. Sometimes there will be multiple deer jump up when the dogs pick up a hot trail. My old weapon of choice was a 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster that had a 30" barrel loaded with 00 or 000 buckshot.

Wear orange and put your back up to a tree.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)
            Those dogs do not train themselves. Ever hunt in front of a feeder or throw feed out for the deer or pigs to come eat while you shoot them? What is extremely sporting about that?

Hunters have used dogs for hunting various animals for centuries.

Comment

Best memories of my Uncle were from hunting with him and his dogs in Arkansas. It was a blast, and I will never forget all the years I did it. I still have his favorite shotgun he always used on these hunts. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                I grew up in La chasing deer with dogs. Nothing wrong with it at all. There were places back then that the only way to get a deer to move was with a dog. I always thought it was funny how the deer hunters in Texas trash talked people that hunted with dogs. But, would sit in front of a feeder and shoot deer.

There was a lot of camaraderie among dog hunters. Especially about who had the best jump dog and pack. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Most that do have never been exposed to it.

Base your opinion on being there and watching the preperation. Not what you hear people say that have not even been around it.

Try to setup in an area where you think the deer will cross. Especially a slough or creek where they will try to lose the dogs in water. And remember.... the deer will be a lot further ahead of the dogs than you think. Sometimes there will be multiple deer jump up when the dogs pick up a hot trail. My old weapon of choice was a 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster that had a 30" barrel loaded with 00 or 000 buckshot.

Wear orange and put your back up to a tree.

Good luck.
                Love those old Wingmaster Magnums!! I still have my dad's old model 12 Winchester Magnum... 30" full choke. That sucker loved those old Peter's Blue Whistler 00 buckshot... I liked the Remington because it was so much lighter than that old Winchester.

Comment

Originally posted by LennyWayne View Post
                  wow...I'm surprised at the responses so far, and REALLY appreciate the encouragement. I'm 50 years old, and have been hunting in Texas my whole life.

I am having a hard time with this, but the positive feedback really does take some of the stress off of my decision.

Good luck to you all, and keep the comments coming, as I'm interested in hearing the opinions.
                  What's to have a hard time about? Hunting anything with dogs makes it more fun to me. Love hearing dogs work. Go have fun and post up how it goes!

Comment

I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)
                    Wind can still matter. Strategy, dog training.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Love those old Wingmaster Magnums!! I still have my dad's old model 12 Winchester Magnum... 30" full choke. That sucker loved those old Peter's Blue Whistler 00 buckshot... I liked the Remington because it was so much lighter than that old Winchester.
                      Isn't a tree high enough for a squirrel to get away from that old pump. Also, put a lot of swamp rabbits, ducks, and deer in the freezer with it.

That was back in the day when we were just wealthy enough to own one gun each in the family. It had to work for everything.

I collect Wingmasters and 1100's. Two of my fav older guns.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                        Both them guys are sissy’s. I hunt with a loin cloth...

If you have an opening I have vacation saved!!. Do it, have fun and post as you can.
                        That's it. You're off the lease. At least wear your panties so I don't have to see your little pinkie danglin.

Back to the OP question. I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's hunting the Big Thicket with my family between Sour Lake and Lumberton off FM 421. My Grandpa ran redbone hounds. Somebody killed his dogs running a deer one time. His best friend found out who it was but would never tell Grandpa because he knew there might be a killing.

It was a lot of fun and brings back many fond memories. I killed my first buck slipping out away from hounds running another deer. After my Grandpa passed in 62, I ran deer with beagles as a teenager. I had one named Dilbert that turned out to be a great deer dog. We would get the family set up for the drive and I would take him into the palmetto flats. When he jumped, he would only run a deer about 5-10 minutes and then come back to where he jumped to find me. Sometimes I'd run along with him and bark just for the fun of it. That made for some great memorable hunts. My family still laughs and teases me about that. If a buck was killed or slipped by we could easily set up in another area and start another drive. Does were illegal to shoot back then. Anyone who doesn't think it's sporting has never been hunting behind hounds.

According to one unnamed poster on here I guess I should give up running rabbits with beagles because it's not a fair chase.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlcOwPvdsK4"]Beagles - YouTube[/ame]

OP please take some video and pics of your hunt and campfire to share with the rest of us sportsmen.
                        Last edited by Froggy; 11-09-2017, 11:10 PM.

Comment

LennyW, waiting on updates!

Comment

I don't have a problem with running dogs, even though it doesn't align with my personal hunting ethics. Neither does using bait or hunting over a feeder, so I just choose not to do it. I do appreciate the tradition and realize it brings back lots of good memories, especially as a "once a year" thing.

It does make me a little sick seeing a pickup truck with 12-14 dead deer in the back from a single morning's hunt. Killing almost every deer on a piece of property with regularity isn't sustainable.

What most people don't seem to realize is that you don't have to shoot every deer that is jumped. I understand 100 years ago in Arkansas, they needed to put food on the table however they could.

I don't even expect to see a deer on every single hunt, and I typically pass up half a dozen or more because they aren't what I want to shoot.

Have a dozen guys go run dogs for the fun and tradition of it, and shoot three deer. Let a kid take his first one, let somebody really wanting some meat shoot one, and take one nice buck if given the chance.

Comment

What county? Grew up hunting with dogs in Mississippi and while it's not how I prefer to hunt, I don't have a problem with it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

What was the outcome of this adventure? A follow up would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X