Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #551
Bilbo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Taylor County

He’s a dandy! Y’all stay till the last minute!! Wouldn’t hurt to throw up a lawn chair 100 yards from the road near a trail. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #552
muzzyslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin,Grayson and Fannin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
Sorry about the delay. Story to come in detail later.
Won't score high but he's a booner in my book on a hunt like this with these conditions.
Meyers unit???
muzzyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #553
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzyslinger View Post
Meyers unit???
Meyers unit yes sir
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #554
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Thanks everyone, just finished getting him on ice. Wish I had a walk in cooler on days like this
Old 11-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #555
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:
Thanks everyone, just finished getting him on ice. Wish I had a walk in cooler on days like this
The biggest snowflakes ever found fell in 1887 in Montana. The snowflakes measured 38cm across and 20cm thick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #556
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Congrats. If you are happy I’m happy for you. Tough hunt. Great work.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #557
Veschels
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson/Clay County

Congrats, SBS! Great buck in any conditions!

JWC, thanks for the history lesson on the worlds largest snowflake.

Last edited by Veschels; 11-05-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Veschels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #558
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

Congrats. Nice buck.

Was up that way today. Too bad for me I didn't get drawn. Yall still have some time.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #559
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

CONGRATS on the Great buck!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #560
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

Well, it's down to the wire. Who all is crazy enough to still be out here?

Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #561
Veschels
Four Point

I bet ol CC is still out there trying to get er' done.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #562
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Oh yeah mlb is still out there for sure. I put him in my ground blind.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #563
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Congrats snl!!
Good buck
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #564
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Curious for the final numbers. I know its not over but it is for most

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #565
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Alright I'm home, deer is on ice, so here goes the story. I posted yesterday that I was going to get extreme and set up in the middle of the bedroom on some very active scrape sign, and I did. I didn't want to build a blind yesterday because of the temps, I was afraid I would ruin the area. So I found the tree I would sit under and came back this morning at about 530 and cut a few small cedar limbs and brushed in a spot under a giant bois d'arc tree in the dark. With the wind this morning I figured the noise would be a minimal disruption. So on to the hunt. As daylight took hold of the morning I was settled in 20 yds from the "scrape tree". Now here is the part I wish I had a super exciting story for but I don't. At around 630 I started talking to multiple hunting buddies via text message. I wasn't to worried about the deer activity because I had not seen a deer in 2 days (23 hrs) on stand. So we are going back and forth joking and hacking on each other. Plus I only had one shot and I was set up looking directly at the only lane I had. At 710 am I typed an extremely long message and hit send. I looked up and this buck is magically standing in the opening looking in my direction. Huge body and mature is all I notice at first, then I see he's legal width. I literally dropped my phone, hooked my release on the d loop, drew and shot. Then picked up my phone and sent a follow up text that said " wholly **** I just stuck a good one" at 710.
45 minutes later I had my hands on the first Hagerman deer I've ever shot and the only buck recovered so far this year. Moral of the story is don't be afraid to push the limits of what is considered "acceptable tactics" during extreme weather/lunar conditions, think outside the box, do whatever it takes to stay on stand (Even if it means jacking around on your phone), and never give up on the hag because it can literally happen in less than 1 minute. I've got 3 witnesses to vouch for it.

Love it or hate it the HAG is a hunt of a life time and if you're like me you love it and hate it.

Here's a pic of my set this morning. The fairly large elm tree is the "scrape tree". It was 20 yards exactly from my chair.
Attached Images

Last edited by sweetinlow660; 11-05-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #566
WCB
Pope & Young

Autocorrect is a ***** ain’t it...

Just messin with ya!! Congrats again and way to make the hunt work for you.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #567
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Autocorrect is a ***** ain’t it...

Just messin with ya!! Congrats again and way to make the hunt work for you.
Wow that was bad. I think I got the corrections made now..lol
Old 11-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #568
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Alright I'm home, deer is on ice, so here goes the story. I posted yesterday that I was going to get extreme and set up in the middle of the bedroom on some very active scrape sign, and I did. I didn't want to build a blind yesterday because of the temps, I was afraid I would ruin the area. So I found the tree I would sit under and came back this morning at about 530 and cut a few small cedar limbs and brushed in a spot under a giant bois d'arc tree in the dark. With the wind this morning I figured the noise would be a minimal disruption. So on to the hunt. As daylight took hold of the morning I was settled in 20 yds from the "scrape tree". Now here is the part I wish I had a super exciting story for but I don't. At around 630 I started talking to multiple hunting buddies via text message. I wasn't to worried about the deer activity because I had not seen a deer in 2 days (23 hrs) on stand. So we are going back and forth joking and hacking on each other. Plus I only had one shot and I was set up looking directly at the only lane I had. At 710 am I typed an extremely long message and hit send. I looked up and this buck is magically standing in the opening looking in my direction. Huge body and mature is all I notice at first, then I see he's legal width. I literally dropped my phone, hooked my release on the d loop, drew and shot. Then picked up my phone and sent a follow up text that said " wholly **** I just stuck a good one" at 710.
45 minutes later I had my hands on the first Hagerman deer I've ever shot and the only buck recovered so far this year. Moral of the story is don't be afraid to push the limits of what is considered "acceptable tactics" during extreme weather/lunar conditions, think outside the box, do whatever it takes to stay on stand (Even if it means jacking around on your phone), and never give up on the hag because it can literally happen in less than 1 minute. I've got 3 witnesses to vouch for it.

Love it or hate it the HAG is a hunt of a life time and if you're like me you love it and hate it.

Here's a pic of my set this morning. The fairly large elm tree is the "scrape tree". It was 20 yards exactly from my chair.

Congrats and good little write up. I like the hunting from the ground aspect too..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #569
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wow that was bad. I think I got the corrections made now..lol
Like I said, just messin wit ya!! lol

When I shot my buck up there it was in the upper 20s/lower 30s, texting with left hand and was shaking leaves out of the tree.lol I had no idea what I was typing...
Old 11-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #570
sooner6969
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County

Awesome Deer and thanks for sharing the story sweetinlow660!
sooner6969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #571
Perkins7581
Ten Point

Quote:

Good write up and nice deer congrats!
Perkins7581 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #572
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:

Bwahahaha

dope hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #573
carlock01
Spike

Quote:

Awesome job !!
I cant wait for segment C!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
carlock01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #574
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:

That’s what I’m talking about. Way to get it done! Congrats

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #575
WCB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlock01 View Post
Awesome job !!
I cant wait for segment C!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Me and Oscar (Landrover) are in C as well.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #576
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Great story.

We had found just such a scrape line and bedroom and just couldn’t make anything work Cus it was so thick. We shoulda tried anyway.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #577
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Congrats and good little write up. I like the hunting from the ground aspect too..

Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #578
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:

The deer should be very afraid between the Hagerman Legend, Oscar , and David....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #579
uncle jesse
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette Co

Congrats SweetinLow
uncle jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #580
rladner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Me too. Looks like another full moon though

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #581
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:

Good write up! Congrats!
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #582
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

Congrats Zach on the H buck. Hard earned and well deserved.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #583
Veschels
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
Bwahahaha

Now everyone knows what we do in our stands... Same thing 95% of the rest of the hunters so I'm sure. Y'all think JG will know that we were talking about his stand?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #584
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

Congrats on a nice buck .
HotRod Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #585
THETEXAN
Eight Point

Quote:
Sorry about the delay. Story to come in detail later.
Won't score high but he's a booner in my book on a hunt like this with these conditions.
You did a fine job. I'd Day perfect management buck for sure. Your right about the conditions. We hunted Godwin and the heat and the brutal N,S,E and west wind killed us. Congratulations!!!
THETEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #586
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

Man you guys had a tough hunt this weekend. B is setting up to be really good. Dark moon and nov 17 not sure if it can get better. Now we just need some cooler weather.

JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #587
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Of all the hunts I've drawn there Godwin has always been in the rotation and it always had the least hunters by a good margin, and oddly enough I never recall a good buck coming out of there.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #588
THETEXAN
Eight Point

Default Hagerman Godwin Unit

Good to meet the guys all hunting Godwin unit. Good luck hunting the rest of the year.
THETEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #589
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Congrats on a good buck. Nothing better than a hard won trophy.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #590
Havalon
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Awesome deer and awesome summary. Congrats.
Havalon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #591
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
Man you guys had a tough hunt this weekend. B is setting up to be really good. Dark moon and nov 17 not sure if it can get better. Now we just need some cooler weather.

Big boys are going down in B. I bet conditions will be perfect. Looking forward to following that thread!
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #592
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Congrats to all who hunted, tough conditions (moon, temps, etc)

Looking forward to Seg B
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #593
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Like I said, just messin wit ya!! lol

When I shot my buck up there it was in the upper 20s/lower 30s, texting with left hand and was shaking leaves out of the tree.lol I had no idea what I was typing...
We still don't understand what you type most of the time.

Congrats sweetinlow! Great buck!

And a good job by everyone else. It's a tough hunt and y'all done good.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #594
Crappie
Four Point

Hunt In: Same

So any word on final harvest count and which units?
Crappie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #595
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

I havent heard of the total kills.
This was my 9th or 10th time to hunt the refuge and I'll say without a doubt it was the hardest hunt yet. I spent a total of 39 hours in the stand and saw 0 deer. Looking back, i probably should have moved (we had 8 other trees picked out as back-ups). The main reason I stuck it out in the same stand was that on Thursday, while hanging the stand, a super wide 10 point strolled by at 30 yards. He never spooked, he just calmly walked through. I really felt i had to stay in that spot just in case he came back. The wind was never consistent for more that 5 minutes. It blew out of every direction but straight up! Even though I struck out this time I had a blast and had the opportunity to meet a couple of fellow TBHers. FND and Chris are some good guys! Hopefully the B and C guys will have better conditions.
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #596
Crappie
Four Point

Hunt In: Same

Man I️ hate the cards y’all were dealt. My last hunt was 2013 during the 8” sleet storm. Those were pretty misersble conditions as well
Crappie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #597
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

So the landowner said you could blood trail on his property but no tracking dogs?, don't get that one...
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #598
public
Four Point

Hunt In: Fannin, Houston, Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
He’s a dandy! Y’all stay till the last minute!! Wouldn’t hurt to throw up a lawn chair 100 yards from the road near a trail. Just sayin.

Speaking the truth...... 2014 Seg C. We are due, hope to see you at the "H" in 2018
public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #599
Bilbo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Taylor County

Quote:
Originally Posted by public View Post
Speaking the truth...... 2014 Seg C. We are due, hope to see you at the "H" in 2018

Ditto! Hope to see us both drawn next year! We’ll top our last hunt.

Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #600
rladner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
So the landowner said you could blood trail on his property but no tracking dogs?, don't get that one...
I don't know if that was the case. I think the H said no. I think the problem was that no dogs were available. But I could be wrong.