Why should my next AR be a .300BLK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should my next AR be a .300BLK

Just what the title says, tell me why I should build a .300 BLK instead of an AR10?
    I don't have either.

It really depends on what you want to use it for and how far you want to reach out with the proper energy to take down game... If you just want to get an upper that fires a 30 cal round to but on your existing AR lower then sure... that could be a good fit for you... It is a neat round if you want to do suppressed. I have always just liked the ar-10 personally due to larger calibers reaching further with more energy.

Im in to see if anyone's reply can convince me too....

Comment

The AR-10 is heavy. Very heavy. I have 2, a 338 Federal and a 308. The 308 with a 16'' barrel is also insanely loud. The BO is kind of a weak sister though, not nearly on a par with the 308. Have you considered a 7.62X39? Cheap factory ammo, if you don't mind steel cases. Less than a 308, more than a BO. Mags are an issue, but there are some that work. I have a couple of mags from a 6.5 Grendel that work flawless on the 7.62X39.
      Wolf makes a 154 gr. SP ammo that is rough on pigs. I have AR's in BO, 6.8, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62, 5.56, and a 6X45. The commie round is the most versatile one of the bunch to me.

Comment

Bought a .300 BLK not long ago for thermal night time pig hunting...It is effective out to 150 yards max but I won't shoot much past 125.

Ammo is alot cheaper then say a .308 and a lighter gun

Comment

Comment

Simple... because you don't have one yet.

Comment

I like AR15 platforms MUCH better than AR10's. AR10's are, to me like handling a fire hydrant in the field. Way to big and heavy. When I want power, I want a bolt gun, or close in, maybe a lever action. You can also have an AR15 in 7.62x39, I have one of those, gives a bit more power than the Blackout. I use C Products magazines and my 7.62 is reliable. The AR10's are accurate, and reliable, just not my "cup of tea"

Comment

Go with the AR10, if your building it, use lightweight parts and keep the accessory garb to a minimum, leupold scopes are super lightweight compared to most and the 308 round is just great.. my $.02

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

The DPMS G2 ar10s weigh about 1 lb more than a stock ar15...that's not much difference.

Comment

If you're actually planning on hunting with it, AR10. The BO is a wimpy 30-30.

Comment

6.8 or a Grendel. Just depends on how far you wanna shoot stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        Simple... because you don't have one yet.
                        Beat me to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                          6.8 or a Grendel. Just depends on how far you wanna shoot stuff
                          This.

The .300blk is a pistol cartridge for all intents and purposes. If you want something that shoots subsonic with the KE of a .45 ACP then the .300 is for you. IF you want something that shoots supersonic with the KE of the .357 mag then the .300blk is for you.

The Grendel will give you more of what you are looking for in every aspect EXCEPT subsonic. And subsonic while the gun is quiet, it is still loud due to the bullet impact, and that will spook game. I found that the game spooks the same either subsonic (I do it with my .308 win) and supersonic.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                            This.

The .300blk is a pistol cartridge for all intents and purposes. If you want something that shoots subsonic with the KE of a .45 ACP then the .300 is for you. IF you want something that shoots supersonic with the KE of the .357 mag then the .300blk is for you.

The Grendel will give you more of what you are looking for in every aspect EXCEPT subsonic. And subsonic while the gun is quiet, it is still loud due to the bullet impact, and that will spook game. I found that the game spooks the same either subsonic (I do it with my .308 win) and supersonic.
                            I can't disagree with this but if we're honest probably 90% of the kind of hunting we do in Texas is within 100 yards anyway. Cheaper ammo, magazine interchangeability and a simple upper swap and the option of reasonably effective subsonic ammo or a soft shooting supersonic very effective at sub 150 yard ranges are all good reasons to like BLK.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              I can't disagree with this but if we're honest probably 90% of the kind of hunting we do in Texas is within 100 yards anyway. Cheaper ammo, magazine interchangeability and a simple upper swap and the option of reasonably effective subsonic ammo or a soft shooting supersonic very effective at sub 150 yard ranges are all good reasons to like BLK.
                              For actual hunting level accurate ammunition the price is about the same. The .300 does have cheap plinking ammo.....I will give you that. Personally I practice with what I hunt with. And while we are talking percentages. 90% of people do not shoot enough to really tell the difference between the cost of the ammo. If they did more people would reload.

I DO NOT WANT magazines to be interchangeable. I want to be able to look (I even mark them) know I am not putting the wrong mag (or ammo) in my hunting bag.

I know 4 people that have bought the .300blk. None kept it more than 2 hunting seasons. They all then went to either the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8.

Comment

Working...
                              X