Anyone else hunt out of a saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only hunt public, and a lot of these places have 72 hour limits on stands along with restrictions to damaging trees. As such, I have been trying to reduce the amount of weight I carry in. Last season I got to 41lbs of stand, sticks, safety harness, and cold weather clothing NOT including my bow.

I decided a change was necessary, so I gave saddle hunting a try. I put together my own saddle out of two Molle waist bands and some nylon webbing. I have never felt more comfortable or safe in a tree in my life. I can't believe I didn't do this before. I plan on making a very minimal saddle next year to further reduce my weight and bulk.

Anyhow, here is what I am using this season

The two waist bands are sewn together using a heavy weight waxed thread, but the sewing is NOT wight bearing

The curves are different radius, which causes a cupping shape, adding comfort

The saddle as it hooks to the tree

And a platform I put together with the seat of a Lone Wolf stand (based on someone else's design)

For climbing, I use 3 Hawk Helium sticks with a 2 step aider each (homemade, of course) this gets me to 20 feet, if I have that much space before the tree canopy gets in the way.

Anyone else hunt out of a saddle or playing a game of ounces? Show me your setups!
    Last edited by IkemanTX; 08-11-2016, 11:19 PM.

Yes been using a treesaddle since 08, wouldn't hunt any other way. Changed my hunting life.

Comment

Moving to Hickory Creek in November, my stuff is packed up in storage.

Comment

I've always wondered about how easy it is to hunt/shoot from these, and just there overall comfortability on long sits. Great idea

Comment

Wow..first time to see these..Good stuff!

Comment

I've looked into it. I've done the Dean Torges seat (kinda like your lone wolf thing... but lighter) and it works well for ground hunting. I've considered the sling, but not for anything up high. I figure if I have to bring steps, I might as well just bring a climber.

Comment

I need pictures.

Comment

Purchased a Guidos Web 2 years ago. More options on how you hunt. And by far the most comfortable sits.
                Last edited by Instinct; 08-12-2016, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                  I've always wondered about how easy it is to hunt/shoot from these, and just there overall comfortability on long sits. Great idea

They are much more comfortable than a climber or hang on stand, and honestly I feel much safer in it. Also, if your bridge (the connection from your saddle to your tree strap) is a decent length, you can shoot 360° around the tree. I run mine shorter so I can only comfortably shoot around 280°-300°. Still much more than a treestand affords you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by IkemanTX; 08-12-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

We use them hunting elk over water in Colorado, whitetails all over. Weighs 2 lbs and multiple climbing options.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

Back in my waaay younger days I frequented a watering hole that had a few of these, so yes. I have.

Comment

I've got a tree saddle rig from back in my Kansas bowhunting days...just never could get used to it. I like the theory, just didn't like all the moving parts, belts, straps, etc. Your custom rig looks like quite an improvement.

Comment

So, are you facing the tree?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes you face the tree, great rifle rest and you easily move around to shoot a bow. You have to practice at ground level to get the hang of it. Once you do it is a great way to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver View Post
                              I've got a tree saddle rig from back in my Kansas bowhunting days...just never could get used to it. I like the theory, just didn't like all the moving parts, belts, straps, etc. Your custom rig looks like quite an improvement.

You should see how some of the other saddle hunters have simplified even further. Mine is a heck of a contraption compared to others. Lots of guys using old singer sewing machines and sewing all the connections. No more messing with straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X