Golf has some stupid rules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
    I know it's been around forever. It just seems stupid to me if you shot an 83 and sign for an 83, you shouldn't get DQ' for it. At least her momma didn't ape S on everyone there. She actually kept her cool
    It is a tough rule for sure, and I feel sorry for her. I bet she never lets that happen to her again.

Comment

Golf, another four letter word!!!

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
        It is the person who's scorecard it is responsibility to make sure its correct. Not the coaches not the person writing down the scores. Did they all fail, yes. Each one of them failed at their part but in the end it is the athletes responsibility to make sure the card is correct. You cant place the blame anywhere else.
        This is exactly right and golfers playing at that high of a level (region) have to know this. Actually, every golfer at any age playing in tournaments have to know this. The coach would not know that she should have had a different score on her card unless she said something. All he/she would do is check the math and signatures and turn it in. It is a tough lesson to learn but luckily she is only 15 and hopefully will have a few more chances to get to the big stage.

Comment

There have been people in the USGA pros that have made the same mistake(s).

Try this for losing your Master's Tournamet

The 1968 Masters Tournament was the 32nd Masters Tournament, held April 11–14 at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.
          Bob Goalby won his only major championship, one stroke ahead of Roberto DeVicenzo, the reigning British Open champion.[2] On the back nine in the final round, Goalby birdied 13 and 14 and eagled 15 to record a 66 (−6) and a total of 277 (−11). At first it appeared that he had tied DeVicenzo and the two would meet in an 18-hole Monday playoff, but DeVicenzo returned an incorrect scorecard showing a par 4 on the 17th hole, instead of a birdie 3, sunk with a two-foot putt. Playing partner Tommy Aaron incorrectly marked the 4 and DeVicenzo failed to catch the mistake and signed the scorecard. USGA rules stated that the higher written score signed by a golfer on his card must stand,[3] and the error gave Goalby the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Hard but fair.........resonates through my cranium! But more importantly, a GREAT life lesson that will serve her well into adulthood. Congrats on having a daughter that is proving to be successful in life already.
            Yessir. Great fodder for essay for college entrance. Tough lesson but lesson learned!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Peter View Post
              There have been people in the USGA pros that have made the same mistake(s).

Try this for losing your Master's Tournamet

The 1968 Masters Tournament was the 32nd Masters Tournament, held April 11–14 at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.
              Bob Goalby won his only major championship, one stroke ahead of Roberto DeVicenzo, the reigning British Open champion.[2] On the back nine in the final round, Goalby birdied 13 and 14 and eagled 15 to record a 66 (−6) and a total of 277 (−11). At first it appeared that he had tied DeVicenzo and the two would meet in an 18-hole Monday playoff, but DeVicenzo returned an incorrect scorecard showing a par 4 on the 17th hole, instead of a birdie 3, sunk with a two-foot putt. Playing partner Tommy Aaron incorrectly marked the 4 and DeVicenzo failed to catch the mistake and signed the scorecard. USGA rules stated that the higher written score signed by a golfer on his card must stand,[3] and the error gave Goalby the championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Masters_Tournament

Many sports have stupid rules but they are the rules non the less.
              She will grow to understand that even the best players in the world make mistakes and that it cost them very dearly. It does bite pretty hard to learn those lessons sometimes

Comment

I hate golf, but it is one sport where integrity still matters.

Ok I really don't hate the sport I'm just terrible at it, and have real anger issues with that stupid white ball!!!!!!

Comment

Y'all remember when Dustin Johnson grounded his club in the sand and blew his lead. Was the u s open wasn't?

Comment

It is her responsibility to keep her own score and check it before. But then the card is given to the coach where he is supposed to double, triple check it. I blame that one on the coach. That's a hard pill to swallow.

There should also be a monitor per every group at Regionals that keep all the girls score, and go over it with them every hole and after the round. The bad thing is half of them couldn't tell a golf ball from a football....

Sorry about the luck. Go get'em next year

Comment

In the over all scheme of things...Its just walking around hitting a little ball with a stick. I just never could take it serious enough to get good.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                        Y'all remember when Dustin Johnson grounded his club in the sand and blew his lead. Was the u s open wasn't?
                        It was the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits in 2010 I believe.

I still don't agree with that one... Especially since someone called in that saw it on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                          That's right. Was some confusion as to whether it was a waste bunker or not. If you remember that bunker was outside the ropes and people had been walking in it all day. From what I remember though at the player and caddie meeting before the tournament it was noted as playing as a traditional bunker. In my opinion it was just as much his caddies fault for not recognizing it and/or calling far a rules official.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                            Hard lesson learned for my freshman daughter yesterday at the regional golf tournament. She was DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard. She shot an 83, 45 on the front and 38 on the back. all four girls in her group had her at an 83. She gave the card to her coach. He noticed the front 9 total should have been a 44. The girl keeping her score wrote down a 6 instead of a 7 on the first hole. For some reason, the coach turned it in anyway instead of trying to get it straight first. I know it is ultimately her responsibility to get it correct but it seems stupid to me to get DQ'd for turning in a higher score than the person keeping your score has down. Her team would have advanced to the state tournament. The girl who would have finished second overall was DQ'd for the same reason. Her team failed to advance as well. Another girl was axed for playing an OB shot wrong

I know I sound bitchy here, but the all of this could have been eliminated if the people who ran this tournament would of had a scorers tent for the kids to reconcile scores after leaving the 18th green. It was a zoo around the pavilion with approx 200 people trying to see scores and who would advance. Needless to say, it was a long ride home with a crying 15 year old daughter who felt like she cost her team a tri to the state tournament.
                            The greatest part of golf is individual responsibility.
                            In a team competition the backstop is the Coach, who in this instance evidently does not enough about the game.
                            That being said I thought if you signed for a higher score on a hole that score stood and you dis not get DQ'ed. Unless it has changed, or they had a local rule, I don't think the player has to total the nines or eighteen holes. Are you saying she signed for a total score of 83 on the card but the sum of the individual holes was 84?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I hate golf, but it is one sport where integrity still matters.

Ok I really don't hate the sport I'm just terrible at it, and have real anger issues with that stupid white ball!!!!!!

Yup, I quit playing golf when I realized I could throw the club further and straighter than I could hit the ball. Decided I must not be having any fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 16ncs View Post
                                The greatest part of golf is individual responsibility.
                                In a team competition the backstop is the Coach, who in this instance evidently does not enough about the game.
                                That being said I thought if you signed for a higher score on a hole that score stood and you dis not get DQ'ed. Unless it has changed, or they had a local rule, I don't think the player has to total the nines or eighteen holes. Are you saying she signed for a total score of 83 on the card but the sum of the individual holes was 84?
                                No. She signed for an 83, but the holes totaled an 82. She made a 7 on a hole and it was written as a 6 and she didn't notice it while reconciling it.

Comment

Working...
                                X