No announcement yet.

2015 Lake Grapevine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have the Drawing application already started? I am new to all of this, this year.

Comment

Yes, you have until late July or early August to submit an application for the deer draw. Just got to the office and fill the application out. Make sure you have your driver's license and Hunter's Education card, if applicable.

Comment

A buddy of mine and I put a canoe in at Marshall Creek to check everything out. The water is still extremely high and all of the parks are closed. Saw deer and other varmits that are trapped near the disc golf course on essentially an island.

Comment

When I was out there on Friday the lady said that it would be at least two months before the lake was down to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
            When I was out there on Friday the lady said that it would be at least two months before the lake was down to normal.
            Just means less foot traffic out there I know it's gonna keep me out, I cross/climb a tall (usually low water level) creek bed that I wouldn't even attempt to cross til September probably.

Comment

Got a camera that has been out there since April 1, gonna be interesting to see what pictures I've gotten of my area. Not very close to a creek so hoping it hasn't been too flooded which would keep deer away from me. Sure everyone is hoping the same, haha

Comment

2015 Lake Grapevine

Remember, please do not post location, roads, etc. This is a public forum.

Champlaya, be carful with ur cam out there. The GW's routinely confiscate stands and cams out there. Talked to him when I put in and he said they already snatched 13 cameras this year.

I got my general, deer(draw), and waterfowl permits. The Gw said they've issued a ton of tickets to duck hunters for hunting on dry ground. Remember, if you duck hunt, you have to be at least 6 ft from the bank hunting in water. Makes things interesting for sure.
                Last edited by Blood Trail; 06-16-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                  Remember, please do not post location, roads, etc. This is a public forum.

Champlaya, be carful with ur cam out there. The GW's routinely confiscate stands and cams out there. Talked to him when I put in and he said they already snatched 13 cameras this year.

I got my general, deer(draw), and waterfowl permits. The Gw said they've issued a ton of tickets to duck hunters for hunting on dry ground. Remember, if you duck hunt, you have to be at least 6 ft from the bank hunting in water. Makes things interesting for sure.
                  Thanks for the heads up. Don't know what lengths they'll go to to take em out, got mine in a lock box that is attached to the tree via 2 large lag bolts and a MasterLock lock. Never seen a human soul on cam but it only takes one time I guess!

Comment

What do you guys think about some of the rules out there? Any opinions on what could be changed?

For one I think trail cams should be allowed. Use them with the knowledge that there is a possibility that they can be stolen by other hunters, but I don't think the GWs should be searching to confiscate them. Unlike tree stands, which can be very cheap, sometimes homemade and dangerous and left permanently on a tree, trail cams seem like an expensive enough asset that people would not leave them out there to rot like they might a tree stand.

Also the "no walking across rail road tracks" rule makes some people's walks A LOT longer. Having to go down the road to cross under the bridge then walking in puts an extra mile on my walk. And with a 16lb tree stand, an 8+ lb hunting pack and a bow, its no wonder people wanna leave all their crap out there, LOL. This could be fixed by putting a parking area on the west side of 377, but both the current parking areas are to the east, none on the west side.
                    Last edited by Champlaya7; 06-17-2015, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Champlaya7 View Post

Also the "no walking across rail road tracks" rule makes some people's walks A LOT longer. Having to go down the road to cross under the bridge then walking in puts an extra mile on my walk. And with a 16lb tree stand, an 8+ lb hunting pack and a bow, its no wonder people wanna leave all their crap out there, LOL. This could be fixed by putting a parking area on the west side of 377, but both the current parking areas are to the east, none on the west side.
                      Now that I think about it, that is not a COE rule, but a rule set by the railway itself. Disregard. I should be chewing them out, not the COE

Comment

I'm thinking if the permit rules were like Hagerman, it might prevent a lot of the anti-hunters from snagging permits to keep hunters from hunting.

Comment

Can anyone tell me where the office is, so I can get in on the drawing? Like I said I am new to this and have no idea where it is.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Don't know what lengths they'll go to to take em out, got mine in a lock box that is attached to the tree via 2 large lag bolts and a MasterLock lock. Never seen a human soul on cam but it only takes one time I guess!
                            Pretty sure you just put out a challenge to the corps to find it. BTW-No lock is safe, they're pretty skilled at removing them.

Comment

They may do this already, but if someone is drawn and doesn't pick up their permit they should be added to the DQ list.

No way people should be drawn in multiple years that never even pick up their permit.

Comment

Now that I think about it, that is not a COE rule, but a rule set by the railway itself. Disregard. I should be chewing them out, not the COE
                                One of the reasons the railroad does this is because if they don't some idiot will walk down the tracks and get killed. It happened about a few years ago down at Watauga Rd. and 377. Kid out playing, unsupervised, and train hit him.

It only takes 1 idiot. But I agree that if they'd put a parking area over say at 635 and Dale Earnhardt Way it might solve a lot of problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X