Wet stones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet stones?

What is a good whetstone to buy for sharpening knives? Needing a Medium and a fine. Preferably 12" or so. Something that will last a good long time. Will be sharpening pocket knives up to kitchen knives.

Thanks
    Last edited by marshhunter; 11-14-2017, 08:35 AM.

I have an Arkansas stone and love it. Get it wet and start sharpening.

Comment

Umm....Check out DMT.

Everyone's gonna say Worksharp though. I tried one, hated it. Too much set up time for me. Guess they are great if you can't sharpen your knives very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        Umm....Check out DMT.

Everyone's gonna say Worksharp though. I tried one, hated it. Too much set up time for me. Guess they are great if you can't sharpen your knives very well.
        X2 for DMT. I bought one of their diamond stones about 8-10 years ago, wore it out and bought 2 more last year.

Comment

I have a Worksharp and I love it. Traildust set up is easy you got to be smarter that it is LOL. Actually I never could sharpen a knife worth a diddly with a stone. Tried various sharpeners over the years and Worksharp is my go to.

Comment

It is spelled whetstone, you might have better luck in your searches that way.

Comment

I bought a super cheap smith brand from Wally World. It'll get knives razor sharp if you know how to use it.

If I could buy the 4 stone system with the pre-set angles like a lansky, I would. But the $5 flat stone is working for now.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                I have a Worksharp and I love it. Traildust set up is easy you got to be smarter that it is LOL. Actually I never could sharpen a knife worth a diddly with a stone. Tried various sharpeners over the years and Worksharp is my go to.
                I pull one of my combo dmt's out of my pocket or pack.....30 seconds later I'm done. I like simple, portable stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                  It is spelled whetstone, you might have better luck in your searches that way.
                  Ahh Thanks!! Lets see if I can edit the title.

Comment

I really like the Arkansas Stone. http://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/...ing_Stones.htm

Comment

I use Shapton Glass & Naniwa.
                      Worksharp are for folks who don't want to learn how to properly sharpen a knife or have cheap knives.

Comment

I've gone to diamond stones and will never go back to old rock ones.

Comment

There's a place out of arkansas called Dan's Whetstone or somesuch, they have all sizes of hard/fine, and medium/soft stones.

Comment

Depends on the type of knives you intend to sharpen... Stainless and harder steel knives will require a diamond hone or a silicon carbide stone. My personal preference for a hard steel knife is either a silicon carbide or medium grit DMT (blue) hone. For something like a 440C blade the silicon carbide or a combo medium/fine (blue/red, or even green) DMT hone works well. For all of them it is important to keep them clean and DO NOT put oil on any sharpening instrument. Wash them with warm water if they are heavily embedded with metal from sharpening. All those work sharp, lansky's, you name it's are good for folks that do not know how to sharpen a knife... use what works for you.

Comment

I think I have enough stones to build a small house. Stones for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X