2010 Balcones Cayonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Six Point,

I was drawn for the Dec. 4-5 hunt, in Unit 8, which I believe is the one you reference as being down the road from the shooting range, and needing 4WD. I do not not have a 4WD, just a 2WD Toyota Tundra truck. From your experience, do you think that I will be able to drive into this unit? I have a parking area more or less right in the middle of it. The refuge personnel also told me about the possible need for 4WD, but were pretty vague.

Comment

Springer-I have a Ford Ranger that is 2wd and I have hunted there.

txfire-I hunted #4 and I parked by the bird trap and walked the road. I jumped a huge doe just below the trap. When I was out there, there was a guy that had a feeder right on the fence but it has been 4-5 years.

Comment

hey 30-06 Im pretty sure that my brother and I will be hunting in the same unit as you on dec 11-12...I forget what blinds we are in but it would be the other 2 as i think there is only 3 blinds in that unit..

Comment

Each area must be different. There are no blinds on 4 except for two very old ones I found that are in very rough shape. One could be hunted out of but the other would be extremely difficult to get into.

Comment

I own land that buttes up against the BWLR.. We had several Does, bucks and plenty of hogs on our property since mid NOV. But all of a sudden nothing. Only 4 pigs and 1 doe are around. Is the RUT over? Is it about to get serious? I am not sure what is going on maybe it is all the hunters moving around in the BWLR that is causing things to LOCK DOWN.

I think my property is around Unit 4.

Comment

Originally posted by hybridhunternm View Post
              hey 30-06 Im pretty sure that my brother and I will be hunting in the same unit as you on dec 11-12...I forget what blinds we are in but it would be the other 2 as i think there is only 3 blinds in that unit..
              Good deal. From the topo maps it looks like a good unit. We ought to have a good hunt. This is my first time to hunt at Balcones and I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Ive hunted areas 3, 4 and 7. Killed deer in 3 and 4. PM me if you need any info!

Comment

Fixedblade, pm sent.

Comment

Txfire409, resend your PM. I dont not see anything from you in my messages!!

Comment

Fixedblade, turns out the system wont let me send pm's until my post count is higher. I was asking for info on unit #4. I will be hunting there this next weekend. My email is txfyrfitr2@yahoo.com . Thanks in advance.

Comment

emial sent Txfire409

Comment

Thanks Fixedblade.

Comment

any news on this past weekends hunt?

Comment

i hunted unit 4 2 years ago follow the main road till u get to the end. road makes a circle like a cul de sac.harvested a doe in that area.friends hunted 3 weeks ago seen 3 nice shooter bucks but no does unit 12 i believe

Comment

I hunted unit 8 dawn till dusk saturday, and dawn till noon Sunday, didn't see nuthin. Neighboring lease had a feeder 150 ft off the boundary, they shot every morning, even scouting morning opening day. Just couldn't compete with the corn, decent sign around where I was, but very thick in the bottoms.

Comment

Working...
                                X