Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) for Mineral Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) for Mineral Site

Talked to a guy a while back who owns a ranch out west. He said that he has always ran a few mineral sites for the deer on his place where he would pour mineral and feed salt on the ground and the deer would eat and lick the ground as needed. He said that he learned that if you pour Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) on the ground on top of the mineral and salt that the deer would destroy the area and within a short amount of time would have a large sunken area from eating all the mineral and dirt from that spot. He said not to confuse the Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) with Baking Soda (sodium bi-carbonate) which is a totally different thing.

Anyone here ever use this or hear of it.

He stated that deer consume so much more when Ehe Washing Soda was added.

Considering adding it to my mineral sites....
    Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-25-2018, 01:47 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't say that I have heard of this but it would be interesting to experiment with

Comment

I don't know about that but their coat will be shiney and clean!

Comment

Supposedly it's the main ingredient of "Deer Cocaine".... I haven't confirmed that though...

Comment

You might go ahead and ad a toothbrush, deodorant and some hand sanitizer, so they can feel really fresh.

But who knows, it could work.

Comment

There was a recipe for home made salt/mineral blocks and i think this was a key ingredient

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                There was a recipe for home made salt/mineral blocks and i think this was a key ingredient
                X2 I’ve seen the same but never tried it. Who knows. Cheap enough to give it a go without any harm done

Comment

Calling AC on this one where is he at ?

Comment

I currently have a directional feeder that sprays a line of corn over my mineral site daily. I feel that forces them to at least get a small amount of it on a regular basis. They also lick my trophy rocks slick, but there’s not a whole lot more than just salt in them. Like said above, it’s cheap enough to give it a try and see what happens. I’ve been pouring mineral and salt in the same spot now for a few years every other month so I know that ground has to be packed with mineral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to try this
                      I normally would leave one trophy brick and they'd demolish those quickly but they're $10 each so last month I decided to just dump a $6 bag of 40lbs of pool salt down.
                      Don't know how they've taken to it as I haven't checked the cards since

But I want to do the trinity of
                      Pool Salt
                      Mineral Salt
                      Disodium Phosphate

Maybe I can do
                      Pool Salt
                      Washing soda
                      One pack strawberry jello

And that'll keep me under $10 and still bring em in

I don't feed em
                      I only provide minerals (hogs, coons and ants steal their corn but none of them want salt)

Comment

It works great , we’ve used it for years both here in Texas and Kansas ,, dicalcium phosphate is the. Main ingredients.

Comment

Don't see why it wouldn't work. I use rock salt mixed with various other goodies and they will dig a big hole around the site. The salt permeates the ground around it and they come back to lick the dirt after the salt/goodies are gone. Works for a long time.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. Post up before and after pics if possible.

Comment

Grabbed a box to see how it'll do

Comment

Originally posted by wade View Post
                              It works great , we’ve used it for years both here in Texas and Kansas ,, dicalcium phosphate is the. Main ingredients.
                              that may have been what I was thinking of.

Where I have put out salt blocks...after they have been gone, the deer still lick the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X