Nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai

Wanting to know if they are good to eat, if so what is your favorite way to cook.
    Any input would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very good to eat.

Tacos
    Meatballs
    Smothered steaks
    Ginger sesame medallions wrapped in bacon
    Chicken fried steak
    Jerky
    Chili

It goes on and on and you’ll be happy you have over 100 lbs of meat to discover all the great ways to prepare it

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
      Very good to eat.

Tacos
      Meatballs
      Smothered steaks
      Ginger sesame medallions wrapped in bacon
      Chicken fried steak
      Jerky
      Chili

It goes on and on and you’ll be happy you have over 100 lbs of meat to discover all the great ways to prepare it
      Thanks for the info.

Comment

They taste awesome. I suggest doing an espresso, salt, and ancho chili powder rub on the back strap.

Grill it to 135F. Then, drop it into a cooler of vegetable oil that’s been preheated to 140F. The meat will gradually get to 140F in about 5 minutes and hold at a perfect medium rare for hours. Take out of the oil, pat dry and rest for 5 minutes. Slice into medallions and serve with chimichurri.

Also, Nilgai makes some awesome sausage. I’ve heard ones shot before March taste better because they haven’t been eating Huisache yet. Enjoy!

Comment

Terrible meat! Ill pick it up and dispose of it properly for you.

Comment

Killed one a month or so ago. Had a local butcher cut it up. Burger I had 10% fat added. Round steaks tenderized for CFS, a couple roasts, tenderloins and back-strap butterflied. Having meatloaf tonight. Nilgai its whats for dinner.
            Attached Files

Comment

Eat tenders fresh (can't hurt them unless you over cook it), freeze backstrap chunks for steaks, then take the rest to a processor. Ask for as many roasts as you can get then cutlets and ground meat on the rest. I'll take nilgai over beef roast any day.

Comment

Best meat I've ever had

Comment

I steaked most of mine out and saved the bigger tough muscles for roast. Made trimming into burger and pan sausage.

Cut 3 in thick steaks out of the large muscles tenderize down to 1.5 in thick. Rub with olive oil lightly season and cook medium rare.

Roast should be cooked how ever you like. I've made carne gusadia and pot roast so far.

Save your deer for making link sausage.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, this is what I was hoping to here.

Comment

Hear

Comment

It is the best and it really doesn't matter what or how you cook it!

Comment

I had Nilgai tenderloin tonight. Olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic. On the grill over high direct heat to sear then indirect heat to finish to medium rare. Smothered in sautéed mushrooms. Melted in my mouth!!

Comment

Dad shot a old bull years back and he was tough but the Hamburg was awesome and the cow we shot was great. No fat on them so cook accordingly. You get a ton of meet off one. Best bang for your buck on a meat hunt for sure. In my opinion the hardest animal in Texas to take with a bow and a under rated trophy.
                            Last edited by sharkhunter; 04-02-2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Toughest wild game meat I've eaten, and it was from a cow.

Comment

Working...
                              X