Grimes county?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grimes county?

Hunting in grimes and was wondering if anyone has shot some decent bucks this year if so pics would be nice, seems like this year they haven't been as plentiful as previous years. Does anyone know if the rut has kicked in yet around navasota at all seen a lot of roadkill with antlers but haven't witnessed the chase going on??

Haven't killed one yet or seen them acting a fool over does, but I bet with this cold front, it is really close..

Comment

I think you are a little late to the party bud. The rut is about finished up. Im in far eastern Grimes on the border with Walker County. We had some good deer this year but they pretty much vanished the last three days and the does are popping back up again. Buck movement is slowing way down which leads me to believe breeding action is slowing way down.

Had a couple good ones early that were swole up in October. Shot my biggest last weekend tending a scrape but did not recover.
      The last pic of that rub showed up after Monday morning hunt, so they might be in a break period before the second phase of the rut gets rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also i think the moon has alot to do with not seeing as much chasing this year. It seems the best fronts we had and the rut coincided with full moons. Alot of action and pics we got were at night, both over feeders and main trails

Comment

Down here in the Grimes/Waller county line they start chasing in earnest 3rd week of October. By 2nd week of Nov its dead again.

Comment

This morning had a young buck acting stupid on 90 between Navasota and Anderson. Dang near ran out in front of me, just as I went by he turned around, then crossed behind me....

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
              Also i think the moon has alot to do with not seeing as much chasing this year. It seems the best fronts we had and the rut coincided with full moons. Alot of action and pics we got were at night, both over feeders and main trails
              Hate to hear about not getting your hands on that one, seems like every year we have three or four good bucks on cameras but heck this year I had one and I let him walk (he would be great next year ) and about 15 mins later heard the boom and whop and haven't seen him since and a younger buck has moved into the area but nothing tending to the scrapes since last Sunday. Thanks for the info and good luck on the rest of your season

Comment

This is my first season out there too..I'm by singleton...only been out once so far gonna try and make it this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to hear about the young bucks. I watched several this season that will be legal next year and if they make it 1-2 more, will be great deer. I am noticing a couple rubs and scrapes still getting action, so it might not be over yet. Hope to get one more crack at them this weekend. Im sure a couple does are about to or are just coming into estrous. Good luck to you as well.

This guy looks like a twin. There are two more exactly like him running around. I took this pic the weekend prior to youth weekend. He took off grunting after a doe when i took this.

Comment

Just saw a 8 point and a spike chasing a doe around the front yard a few minutes ago. It's far from over in Montgomery county.

Comment

Originally posted by Mconner View Post
                      Hunting in grimes and was wondering if anyone has shot some decent bucks this year if so pics would be nice, seems like this year they haven't been as plentiful as previous years. Does anyone know if the rut has kicked in yet around navasota at all seen a lot of roadkill with antlers but haven't witnessed the chase going on??

Pic was taken on Hopewell rd south of Bedias today around 12:30.
                      Few deer seem to be on their feet still.

Comment

anyone have any land to lease in grimes county?

Comment

I’ve seen nothing but doe and pigs near stoneham

Comment

I think some of the mature bucks are locked down again, small bucks are still chasing and cruising to find anymore receptive does. this weekend may be good, never a bad day to be in the woods though!

Comment

Lots of small illegal bucks around. Some barley hit 11" for the most part. I do have a friend that shot a 21 point that went 198 and change between Shiro and Richards. There was also a buck hit by a car closer to the walker county line on Hwy 30 around 11-12 years ago that was 24 pints and went low 190's.

Comment

Working...
                              X