Arrow flight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow flight...

I hope I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill but as I practice more and more I notice new things.

I posted yesterday with a question about shot placement but also noticed this.

I was shooting yesterday in heavy wind conditions and with the sun to my right (glare in my eyes), just trying to practice in different conditions other than indoors. I noticed, and not sure if the sun was lighting up my arrows but I noticed that after the arrow had cleared my rest and approximately 10ft??? That the rear of the arrow kicked to the left. I just caught a glimpse. Of course as the picture I posted on the other thread my shots always hit straight but I happened to notice today that this happens on my shots.

Is this normal flight for an arrow?

Paper tune it and it will tell you exactly what you need to do

Comment

Is it every shot or just that one?
      Was there a gust of wind?

Comment

Originally posted by LloydMcCoy View Post
        Paper tune it and it will tell you exactly what you need to do
        X2 paper tuning is invaluable.

Comment

Yes, about 15mph winds right to left...which if your thinking wind would make since cause it would catch the vanes more.

I've never noticed this flight pattern before cause never shot in windy conditions.

Comment

Paper tuning I will try.

If they tune the bow in shop does that take care of having to paper tune problem?

Comment

you might have a arrow with to much spine!!
              But first of all paper tune it!!!

Comment

Wind could be a problem, tuning could be a problem. Paper tuning is only a step in tuning the bow. A lot have gotten away from paper tuning as it can give you false reading depending on where you are standing. An arrow properly tuned will not come out of any bow perfectly straight. i would paper tune, walk back tune and then BH tune with spending way more time on walk back and BH tune. Also, your bow hand could be some of the problem with an improper hand placement and pressure on the bow grip. Torqueing can also cause erratic arrow flight. As far a spine, I would much rather be over spined rather than under spined.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_17jgEdAI&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_17jgEdAI&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

just remember that an arrow also oscillates after being shot might be at the speed it was traveling and just catching a glimpse it might be that. But paper tuning is a must.

Comment

I am going to have to agree to disagree on the paper tuning being a must. Unless you really know wha tyou are doing, PT will give you false reads and besides, not a single arrow will come out of the bow straight, there is some oscillation on every shot. Spend more time on makeing sure of the center shot and level and then walk back tune and BH tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      I am going to have to agree to disagree on the paper tuning being a must. Unless you really know wha tyou are doing, PT will give you false reads and besides, not a single arrow will come out of the bow straight, there is some oscillation on every shot. Spend more time on makeing sure of the center shot and level and then walk back tune and BH tune.
                      X2

Comment

paper tuning will get you in the ballpark but be warned, it can be misleading. case in point..... if your arrows are not spined properly OR you induce shooter hand torque you will NEVER get a good tear, this will result in constant tinkering with you tuning when there is no issue there. since you hunt i would walk-back tune the bow and then broadhead tune. many times you will a good tear and your broadheads still won't impact with field points. this will require you to move either rest or knock point resulting in a poor tear in paper and great broadhead flight negating your paper tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfirerescue View Post
                          I hope I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill but as I practice more and more I notice new things.

I posted yesterday with a question about shot placement but also noticed this.

I was shooting yesterday in heavy wind conditions and with the sun to my right (glare in my eyes), just trying to practice in different conditions other than indoors. I noticed, and not sure if the sun was lighting up my arrows but I noticed that after the arrow had cleared my rest and approximately 10ft??? That the rear of the arrow kicked to the left. I just caught a glimpse. Of course as the picture I posted on the other thread my shots always hit straight but I happened to notice today that this happens on my shots.

Is this normal flight for an arrow?
                          I cannot imagine that "heavy wind" may have anything to do with the flight of an arrow. Cheers!
                          Fred

Comment

IMO I would paper tune it. Shoot a few shots before making any adjustments. When paper tuning you need to be 100% sure you aren't torquing the bow when at full draw. The slightest bit will leave false paper readings. You should see a bullet hole with three lines coming from it when done right. Good luck

Comment

Papertuning is just a reference for centershot. If you're going to shoot broadheads then BH tune is more important.

I generally paper tune to get close. I used to be a stickler for a bullet hole until I realized that I always adjust ever so slightly and end up with a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch left tear on paper, but my bh's and fp's impact same POI out to 60 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X