Installing a mantel question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a mantel question.

I have no mantel over my fireplace and want to install one. How would I go about installing the supports first? I have a rock fireplace and the facing is pretty rough. Do I just drill into the rock and install some masonry anchors?

Thanks

yes, anchor a 2x6 to wall then build mantel to that

Comment

use 4-5 inch red head anchors for masonry

Comment

Here's what I got...

I don't know where the 2X6 fits in, but what I want to do is just install two 4X6 cedar posts into the facing and then lay a big cedar mantel on top of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	24055766

Comment

Sabre- you should have plywood behind that stone. So there shouldnt be any problems anchoring to something behind it.
          I mounted a mantle on one very similar to yours. I predrilled the "support" beams with a 1/2" bit. Then drilled thru the rock and thru the plywood behind it. Then i put a long bolt thru the support beam, and put a "molly" bolt on the threads that will go into wall. Then when you push the bolt in, it catches on the plywood and you can tighten your support beam to the wall. Then you can attach your mantle beam to the support beams. Hope that makes sense. Thats how i did it and worked great. Also- i put a little dab of liquid nails behind them to help hold to the stone...

Comment

Got any pics of yours? The other problem i have is the rock is not all flat.

Comment

Watching this , I have one on an interior wall , all stone to the top !! Want a bigger mantel !!

Comment

Working...
              X